1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Turf Tires: 2-ply or 4-ply?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ngog_Nrythrng, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Ngog_Nrythrng

Ngog_Nrythrng LawnSite Member

I need new tires for a '99 Toro Proline 36" geer/fixed. It uses 13 x 6.50 - 6 on the rear.

What I see in the catalogs (ex: J. Thomas; Cedar Rapids) are the 4-ply versions. These are rated to 28 psi, as opposed to the 2-ply 14 psi.

The tires are supposed to be inflated to ~14 psi.

Can I inflate the 4-ply to just 14 psi without any issues (sidewall wear; bead coming off rim; etc)? :confused:
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I think you will be OK with the 4-ply with lower pressure, I replaced some tires last year and went with the heavier ply to cut back on flats, I kept them at 15 psi like the 2 ply that were on it and I had no problems
  3. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

should be able to... the 4 ply will allow the higher air pressure for heavier equipment and/or use, but will still work with less pressure.
  4. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

How are your tires on step side hills? We run our tires low just for sure footing on some of our hilly terrain. Sometimes on our ZTR i look down and that tire looks like it could peel right off. I should not even do this hill but it dont take that long so I take my chances.
  5. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I use the 13 X 6.50 - 6 4 ply tires and run 20 lbs. of air. Sort of, kinda like, "split the difference", as far as the air pressure goes.