Turf Tracer Blade Engagement

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by gdguth, Aug 8, 2007.

1. gdguth

gdguth LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I bought a used Turf Tracer HP with a 52 inch deck a few weeks ago. When I engage the blades, it makes a squeeling or screeching sound. Is this normal for it to do this? It is a manual blade engagement. Does it just make this sound because it is the belt grabing on the pulley? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

gdguth,

As with some of the other recent posts you'll see, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.

You will most likely hear a pretty good chirp or squeal as you engage the blades. The important thing to keep on top of, especially early on is lubricating the clutching arm pivot and keeping on top of the clutching belt tension adjustment.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us again.

Thanks,
    Lenny

3. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

it is common to squeel or chirp when engaging them blades, however, if it does it for seconds at a time when you engage it, it's slipping.

the turf tracers use 2 belts for the blades.

There is a pto clutch belt that runs from the engine crank to the jackshaft. The main belt runs from the jackshaft to the deck.

The small belt from the engine to jackshaft takes the brunt of the abuse and we replace them often. They are cheep enough and make a HUGE difference.

I think there are 2 different belts they used depending on serial number break down.

The common one we use off the top of my head is 1-413096. I think it's close to about 20 bucks.

You can actually change this belt without taking anything apart, however when you look up under their, it's looks overwhelming. Just take it off the engine pulley 1st. Then off the jackshaft pulley and fish it out and a new one in. There should be a turnbuckle on the engage rod to adjust the engage tension.

Good luck.