Turf Tracer HP problem

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by LHlandscaping, Jun 7, 2004.

1. LHlandscaping

LHlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from PA/ SW

I recently bought a 52 inch 17 hp Kawasaki Turf Tracer Hp and I am having problems with the machine clumping the grass. I am running the machine in fescue mostly but it also has same problems in crabgrass, bluegrass, weeds, you name it. It seems that any height grass, wet or dry wants to clump the side discharge. I am using the O.E.M. excalibur blades and I have them sharpened at a 15 degree angle them roughly every 15-18 hours. Is there anything that I can to do fix this problem. The spindles are aligned and the deck pitch has been remedied using an extra set of washers on the rear pins. Any solutions you may have are very much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time. Bill

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

LH,

Is this a new or used machine? If it's new then my first recommendation would be to get it back to the dealer ASAP for inspection. If it's used.................get it back to the dealer for inspection.

Other items that should be checked.

Make sure youÂ’re using the "notched" airfoil Excalibur blade, engine rpm should be set at 3600 with the blades engaged but not in the grass, PTO adjustment is often overlooked on this particular machine and measure the deck rake to ensure it is what you believe it should be.

The deck idler should also be inspected. The first step to inspecting the idler is to simply remove the trims side belt shield. Once it is removed you can grab the belt on each side of the spindle pulley and pull it toward you and off of the pulley. Then slowly release the belt. You should now be able to remove the spring for the deck idler. The idler should pivot freely. It should feel almost loose when you pivot it back and forth.

Make sure the deck is clean and in some cases increasing your ground speed will often help a great deal to reduce clumping.

Thanks,

Terry

3. LHlandscaping

LHlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from PA/ SW

Terry,
    Thank you for your prompt and knowledgeable reply. I will take the machine to the dealer as soon as I get the chance. Once again. Thanks for your help. Bill

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

LHlandscaping,

You mentioned a 15 degree angle on your blade edges. I hope that was a typo on your part, as 15 degrees is way too slim an angle for a lawnmower blade. It should be in the neighborhood of 30 degrees.

Also, this years grass has a HIGH moisture content. Lots of clumping that hasn't been seen in a while. Also, clover and buckhorn season is in full swing. These are two weeds that are guaranteed to clump with ANY mower.

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

TLS,

The proper angle should be 28-30 degrees.

Terry