Turf Tracer Hp tracking problem

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by fearthedeere, May 23, 2003.

1. fearthedeere

fearthedeere LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I just bought a Turf Tracer Hp this week and I'm already having some problems with it. First of all, I was mowing yesterday and the mower would want to jerk right or make a circle if I were to let the controls go as if it were straight. So I turned the tracking knob to the left in 1/4 turns...this helped but it still wasn't tracking straight. I turned the knob until the darn knob came unscrewed from the bolt. I do not know if I lost some nuts or washers and such in the grass there when the knob came off, but ever since I've tried to get the knob back on and adjust the tracking, it will not track right. Having a terrible time with that.

Also, my left hydro pump looks like it is leaking around the base. The right is dry, but the lefts has some seepage.

Very dissapointed in my new exmark here. I was hoping I wouldn't have to have this machine at the shop all the time.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hey Kevin,

Rather than trying to guess what's wrong here, we need to do the right thing and get this mower into the dealership. It sounds to me like something is hanging up either in the controls or the pump.

Before you take it in, make sure that the dump valves on the hydro pumps are turned all the way in. If they pushed this mower anywhere, it's possible that they did not tighten the dump valves up. This can cause a pump to perform erratically. They only have to be hand tight, so don't crank them down with a ViceGrip. There's a decal on the engine deck that indicates where the Drive Wheel Release is. The Drive Wheel Release is the same as a dump valve.

Also, make sure that the ring for the cold start kit isn't hanging up on something. This is unlikely but is worth checking.

If you're missing some of the hardware for the tracking knob, look in your parts manual to determine what you are missing. If you turned the knob that much, we may have something way out of adjustment. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have the dealer get everything back in order again. He can look at the pump at this time.

Get the mower back in there ASAP, and they should be able to get you back up and running. I don't foresee this being a recurring problem, and I'm quite certain that everything can be fixed. Let me know if there is anything else I can do, and keep us posted with what transpires. If you need to get a hold of me directly, you can. My e-mail address is dustin.schwab@exmark.com.

Here to help,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support

3. fearthedeere

Thanks Dustin for your advice. I am just mainly dissapointed because many people have told me good things about the exmarks and their dependability and such. On the manual it even says they're designed for "years of trouble free operation". It just makes me lose faith in the machine when It needs to be taken back to the shop for repairs after the first week of use. After all, I did buy it so I would have a dependable machine that I wouldn't have to worry about repairing all the time.

Dustin, I don't think the dealer provided me with a parts manual...there is only the operator's manual. This manual pertains to the larger turf tracers with 52"-60" decks...no mention of the HP's with 48" decks and 17hp Kawi.

Thanks for your time.

4. fearthedeere

Hey, it's at the dealership now. They just set it in the corner and told me it'd be a few days. Hope things turn out well.

5. fearthedeere

PROBLEM FIXED: The mower is up and mowing again. The dealership corrected the tracking problem and repaired the left leaking hydro pump. The mower was down for about a week at the dealership. I began to wonder about the parts overnight deal, but read about it and it says that hydro parts are excluded. Go figure. But anyways I had a fun day mowing with it today and wish I had more time to keep on mowing with it. Thanks much Exmark guys.

By the way, a recommendation to The Smith's Implement Exmark dealer in Greensburg, IN. Even though they are a John Deere dealership also, I believe they did have better service than that of my local John Deere dealer I'm used to dealing with.