1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Turf Tracer HP, what the heck...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fiveoboy01, May 14, 2007.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I changed the blade drive belt a few days ago.

The large silver pulley on the deck with a bunch of rivets holding it together swivels and there's a large spring to keep tension.

When I took the old belt off, the spring pulled the pulley way out of position because there was not belt on there.

Right where the pulley normally "sits", there is a huge gouge in the top of the deck from something rubbing there. It's not rubbed all the way through the deck but I'd say a third of the way through the metal. It's a few inches long, probably due to the pulley moving back and forth under load with the PTO on.

Anyone know what could be causing this? I'm hearing a continuous rattling sound with the PTO engaged, which I assume is this rubbing that's going on.

I'd post it in the exmark forums, but they're moderated and I'd like to see if anyone knows whats going on.

I might be able to post pictures later tonight, don't have the cam with me and my router at home is acting up...
  2. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

exmark did have upgraded idler arms over the past couple seasons.

was it on the mount where it was wearing through? Lack of grease? Or was the arm contacting the deck because the bushing/bearings on the idler arm are worn. That failure is very common on all machines.

I'd undo the idler arm from the belt and see how much play it has. That could be where your issue is.
  3. fiveoboy01

Well this is an '06, so its a pretty new machine and I'd think it would have the upgrade.

I'm sorry on the terminology, I assume idler arm is the part that swivels and has the pulley attached to it, and it keeps its tension by that large spring on the deck.

I grease everything once every two weeks so I know it's not lack of grease.

I find it hard to believe there would be any wear with the low number of hours on this machine. There is a SLIGHT amount of play on that swiveling bracket(if that's what the idler is), it's got a grease fitting in it...
  4. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

wow, really?! I have a tthp-36" that is about 2 months old, I would love to see some pic's of the area you are describing. (or at least the damage, I know exactly where you are talking about) I will check mine and see if anything like that is going on. This is my first Exmark so I will be keeping a close eye on it.
  5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Check the bolt that holds the idler arm on and see if its loose. If it is then under load it could be rubbing the deck. If its not then maybe the idler arm itself is bent causing the problem.
  6. fiveoboy01

There is a SLIGHT amount of play on the idler arm. I can't possibly see how it is enough to put a gouge in the top of the deck like this, but maybe it is...

I will paint over the gouge then tighten the bolt up to see if it stops the rubbing and if the rattling goes away.
  7. fiveoboy01

Here's a picture.

I guess it isn't as deep as I thought. Probably 1/32" or so maybe a tad more.

There is a fair amount of play in the idler arm, I think the bolt is loose. Don't have time today but I'm going to tighten it up and see if the prob goes away. Hopefully with it being loose it didn't damage the bushings/bearings, if so I guess I'll have to get them replaced. I'd imagine it's warranty work, but I can't give this thing up for a day:(

8. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

from the picture, I believe your bolt for the pulley is rubbing. Come to think of it, my eXmark TTHP is doing this also. I put a heavy coating of grease down to try to minimize the wear. Let me know what you find for the fix.
  9. fiveoboy01

Well according to the parts diagram, there is no "nut" on the bottom of the idler where the pulley bolts down.

It looks like there's a nut welded to the idler, or they drilled and tapped it for the pulley bolt to thread into. It's easier to see by looking in the parts manual for the TTHP. Perhaps it's just the idler arm itself but I'll take it apart and check it out and post what I find.
  10. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

It does not look like the bolt on the pulley is the problem. It looks like the swivel mount bolt needs to be tightened. You know what Im talking about? The actual bolt that holds that entire assembly to the deck.