1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Turf tracer or Metro Hp?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vipermanz, Jul 12, 2005.

1. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

since i'm not currently in the commercial biz, i want to get a 36"for my own fun, i know the metro would be cheaper but i like the TT's hydro. i'm getting it for dealer cost and no assembly charge since i used to work there. so again, Metro Hp or Turf Tracer hp?
  2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Ask yourself, are you gonna go into lawn service soon? Will that be possible goal? If yes, get TTHP without question.
    The hydro system on TTHP is worth priceless, meanwhile the belt system on Metro is nothing but tiring, it is entry level walk with floater. eXmark best-selling WB is TTHP.
  3. vipermanz

I am thinking on planning on getting back in the biz, i am pretty positive its going to be the tthp 15/36 with a bullrider, i used to work at the dealer and i got to drive it around and i really liked the whole system, Ecs is so good. i really would like to be back in the biz...
  4. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If you go bullrider, it is very hard to use castering mode cause a 36" with 15 hp is too small for it, at best you can run only on trailing mode. I think Velke x2 or Jungle Jim is the best for eXmark TTHP, I can back up like 20 feet straight back without problem (practice a lot), when cutting backing up 2-3 feet is piece of cake. I back out of my trailer without ever touching sulky at all, pretty much like rider in and out, no folding or anything, that is why HYDRO is priceless.
    Excellent machine, the 48" and of course 52", the 36" is too small to do big yard and it takes too many passes. If you can get one go 52" with 19 hp, it is one bad ass machine.
  5. vipermanz

yeah, the sulky idea is still in the air now
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I put a second on MTR's comments about BullRider and a 36" mower in caster mode. I've made many posts on my experiences. I use my BR in trailer mode on a 36" Exmark Viking (hydro) and it works fine, including backing up (as stated: with practice!).
  7. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

TTHP without a question!!
  8. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I agree with MTR and Rodger about castering sulkies on small WB's. I had a Lesco sulky on a 36 hydro and the sulky owned the mower to say the least. Since you are close with the dealer ask him if you can try both machines. I'm sure you will see the clear choice after the demo.