Turf Tracer,or Turf Tracer HP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luckylawnboy, Nov 7, 2000.

1. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

I have finnaly decided it is time to update my walk behind mower. I have an Exmark Viking Hydo 52" now. It has been super reliable beside replacing a few spindles. I was looking at the new turf tracers but was to sure which one to go with. is the HP smaller. I was wondering if I should go with 17hp HP, or the 23hp Turf Tracer. I also liked the manual blade engagment on the HP. Also the blades on my Viking don't spin as nearly as fast as the do on My Dixie. Exmark claims 18,500 fpm, My dixie is 19,000 fpm. I don't think you could tell that little of a difference, so are the newer walk behinds that much better than my older 14hp Viking Hydro 52. I also feel that the drive tires are too small and smash the turf down on my Viking.

2. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

Just my opnion but I would not have a 52 inch cut with anything less than a 17 hp engine. I have two turf tracer hp's one with the 14 and one with the new 15 kawi twin. Both have 48 inch decks and I'm real happy with the power but a bigger deck should have a bigger engine.

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the turf tracer HP 48 in. 17hp kawasaki, and I am very happy with it. This year I purchased the mulch kit for it, it really did a god job of mulching leaves. A little note:
    I had used my TT for a while and put a hour meter-tacometer
    on it and noticed the rpms were low, had it checked and they were about 1000 rpms low, had it adjusted and it cut even better. This was running low from when it was new from dealer.

4. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have two TT. One has a 15 Kohler and the other a 17 Kaw. THey are both 48inch. Go with the biggest engine possible!! My Kohler dies on hills and thick grass. THey both have Velkies, the Kaw has power to burn and its worth the extra money. GO big or stay home!!!

5. luckylawnboy

I am sure I want a 52" deck, but My 14 hp works, but not the best. So is the 17 Kaw enough, or do I need to go to the turf Tracer with a 23hp. I have herd alot of good things about the 17 hp engine, so no need to go over kill with the 23hp. Beside they only run 6.5mph, my dixie is twice that, and it won't miss a blade, 60" cut 25hp. I can demo one, but the grass is know where near the condition it is from April July, thich,heavy, and wet in some instances.

6. luckylawnboy

Oh yea, I would wait till spring to demo one, but there are some great Deals on left over 2000 modles. I only use my WB when I have to, otherwise I use my 2 choppers

7. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The 2001 have the new controls. I used them and they are very nice. I think the 17 with the 48 has plenty of power. With a 52 you may want more power. I have a Laser with a 23hp(52deck). 23 on a walk behind seems like overkill, but you can never have too much power. :)

8. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd get the TT60/23KAW.

But it doesn't seem clear if they'll have the new ECS controls on the full size unit next spring.

9. luckylawnboy

I am not sure if I will like the new controls, or not. I have not seen one. I want a 52" I use it un smaller or really hill properties, othr wise I 'll use my Choppers. Just wondering if the 17hp had enough balls on a 52"

10. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

TTHP52/17KAW then.

You don't want the big frame with only a 52". I would put on large drive tires, though. (8.50x8x16)

I remember when we first used 52WB, the biggest engine was 11hpBS. Comical in light of todays options.