Turf Tracer troubles... HELP!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by PJDiesel, Apr 23, 2006.

1. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Hey, newbie here with a couple of questions for you guys who are in the "know".

I recently bought a used (2004) ExMark Turf Tracer 60. (Kohler Command 20) I got it to replace an older 72 Scag walk behind I sold to the folks who bought my house. Heres the deal, this mower runs great sitting still. It will idle and rev up just fine, put a load on it (up hill, thick grass, quick manuever, etc.) and she dogs out. It smokes and sputters till I throttle it down. I can cut at about 3 or 4 (speed wise) and about 5/8 throttle, any higher than that or through normal height grass and it trys to die on me.

??
    Heres what I have already done to it that has has ZERO effect on how it runs so far.
    1) New fuel and fuel filter.
    2) Changed oil, oil filter, trans filter trans fluid.
    3) New plugs (which are now badly carbon foulded for some reason?)
    4) New float, needle valve, air/fuel screw & gaskets.
    5) had the carb apart a total of three times, sprayed it out with carb cleaner & compressed air.
    Aitr filter looks fine, it runs the same with it off.

PLEASE HELP!
    I'm one step away from taking this thing to an ExMark dealer. It's starting to hurt my pride now.:cry:

Any suggestions would be great, I'm lsot at this point.

2. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Choke not opening up all the way?

3. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

It would seem that way, but no.

4. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

Sounds like the ignition is breaking up. Did you gap the sparkplugs? What plugs did you put in it?

You may have a coil problem.

5. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Gap? huh. I just slapped them in there ;)

They are RC12YC, is that what it is supposed to have?
    It's not like it's not just running at optimal performace, it's running like crap. Making me wish I had my old Scag back at this point.

6. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Could be a governor problem too, that would explain it bogging down in the tall stuff.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

That is the right spark plug and it should be gaped at 0.030", Below is the gov. adjustment procedure.

Kohler CV Gov Adjustment.JPG

8. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Rob, do these symptoms sound consistant with needing Gov. adjustment too?

I'll give it a shot, but would that also explain my plug being completely BLACK after about 2 hours of use? (they have white chalky residue on them too)??

Thanks for the input guys.

Anyone else?

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It sure sounds like it could be, If the gov. is out of adjustment it causes the engine to lug (if you will) under load instead of increasing rpm's for the amount of fuel entering the intake. Take a diesel truck and start off in third gear and you will see black smoke bellowing out the tailpipe because it is being lugged. Thats what your mower sounds like it's doing. It only takes less than 5 minutes to check and adjust the gov. and even if thats not the fix it will be eliminated as a possible problem.

10. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

your engine is running what they call "rich" on fuel... mine TT did this last year all of the sudden.... going up hillsm, thick grass, wet grass, it would start to sputter, and cut off. took it to the mechanic,,, he made a few adjustments said it was running rich and could have been cause by all the vibrations over time and then hitting a bump hard enough or something .... said its common on engine that run all the time for it to happen from time to time.... 35 bucks and i was out the door,....... ran fine ever since then.....