Turf Tracer vs Viking w/ECS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Texas ProLawns, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Texas ProLawns

Texas ProLawns LawnSite Member

Can't delete - DOH!!!:angry:

When I merged the two threads together, I should have merged the other one first. Since this is the first post made in the thread, it will not let me delete it so it will have to remain here. But at least the two threads are now together.

2. Texas ProLawns

I am new to the business - less than one year.

I am fixing to purchase a new WB. I have two quotes of $4199.

Here is the dilemma - one quote is for a Viking Hydro 48" w/ECS.

The other is for a Turf Tracer HP 48" without ECS. Both have the 15 Kaw.

After searching the site it seems obvious that the TT gives a better cut, but is the ECS worth giving it up for?

In your opinion, which is the better deal? Is either one a good deal at that price?

Thanks!:)

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Welcome!

Here's my philosophy: Buy something you can build on.
    Buy the HP w/ the ECS.

Yeah, it might cost more.

Yeah, you'll LIKE it more.

Yeah, it'll have more resale value.

Yeah, you'll be glad you did 2 years from now.

If plan on earning a living with it, get the best.

4. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

Prior to coughing up the cash you may want to consider test driving a new Gravely. Compare it to the quality of cut of any WB mower....let me know what you think (or not).

Barry
    Gravely Guy

5. jdwilliams1

jdwilliams1 LawnSite Member

I have a turf tracer w/ ECS and love it and only paid $4200 new w/ 17horse Kaw. May want to shop a little. the floating deck is worth the investment though. I would give up ECS(fighting) for the ebetter cut and easy deck adjustments first though! If you plan on running double blade or mounting a sulky of some sort I would strongly recommend 17 horse, you can never have to much power! IMO

6. jdwilliams1

jdwilliams1 LawnSite Member

Oh yeah, Mine was a hydro too!, Well worth the money!

7. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

I currently have two TT HP's . One is the old 14 hp Kawi and the other is the twin cylinder 15HP. I have a new 17 HP ordered for this comming mowing season. I ordered the new TT with the old pistol grip set up. The difference in price according to my Exmark dealer was $100 so it wasn't the price that affected my decision. I'm sure the ECS is a good system but I'm just use to the pistol grips and decided to not take a chance on ordering something I would have to get use to.
    as far as the total price of the new unit goes, it will be $4900 plus tax. I'm sure every area has there own set of price guidelines. The imprortant thing is with Exmark is that you are getting the best commercial mower on the market. Just my opinion.

8. Texas ProLawns

I hadn't thought about extra horsepower and a sulky. Will I be able to run a sulky with a 15HP? I'm kind of a little guy - about 275 lbs or so...

9. casey

casey Guest

This is a serious dilemma. Personally I couldn't live without the ECS or the floating deck which means I would opt for curtain #3, a 48" TTHP with a 17 HP Kawi & ECS.

10. I run Turf Tracer 52" 23hp kohlers. Get the extra HP you wont be disapointed.

Also electiric blade clutch, hour meter, wider tires, wider stance, and I think for 2002 it will come with big cyclonic air filter and brakes.

I paid $5,k for each