Turf Tracer Wheel Widening

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by CFLS22, Sep 19, 2013.

1. CFLS22

CFLS22 LawnSite Member

Any of you guys ever widen the width of your rims on your wallbehind, mainly TurfTracers. Obvious not talking about raising the height of the mower and not looking to put dual wheels on each side. Reason why I ask is because the width of the turf tracers wheels are so skinny that I'm having trouble rutting even after switching up directions.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. TuffTurfLawnCare

TuffTurfLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried lowering your tire pressure? This made a huge difference for me on my Exmark WB

3. CFLS22

CFLS22 LawnSite Member

Yea they were at like 9-10 for most of season. Just lately bumped them up to the 13
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Are your lawns irrigated? If so adjust irrigation. I know this sound basic but I see it over and over. Most mowing only folks arent familiar with how to adjust irrigation. Of course if you are dealing with natural rainfall nothing you can do.

5. CFLS22

CFLS22 LawnSite Member

Naw only a few. Rest is all natural other than regular sprinklers that I may not know about
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

even if you spaced out the wheels with spacers, wouldn't the tires still have the same width and cause ruts? I would think you would need a wider tire/rim combo. We have a 48" and 36" and never had any issues... that's running a one wheel sulky on the 48" too.

7. CFLS22

CFLS22 LawnSite Member

Yea I'm not talking about spacing them I'm saying widen the rim and tire
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd go for a set from the vantage. 20x10.5 and with 8psi or so should have an effective outer diameter similar to 18/6.5's

9. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

what size TT are you talking about? I know on the 48" there's not a lot of extra room on deck overhang as is. I think the rear tires are like 16x7.5, if you went with 10.5" wide tires, that would probably be sticking out wider than the deck.

10. CFLS22

CFLS22 LawnSite Member

Sorry it's a 52 so lots of room to play around with
    Posted via Mobile Device