Turf trouble, need help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pelican, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Pelican

Pelican LawnSite Member

I was at one of my premium and noticed many circular blotches of dead grass in his lawn, some were 1" diameter and others ran up to 5". Closer inspection revealed that the ends of the dead grass were frayed and looked as though someone had sprayed them with red food coloring. The lawn is a bluegrass/red fescue blend and is under a maintenance program by Lawn Doctor. I'm familiar with "rust" that appears here later in the season, but this is something different. I also noticed the same condition on my own lawn today, although not as severe. The photo below is some of the dead shoots I pulled, if you look closely at the center, you'll see the red tint.

We've had an unusually high amount of rain this season and had a hail storm last week with quarter sized pellets, if this might matter. Does anyone know what this condition is and how to correct it? Thanks!

red turf.jpg

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Pelican,since i lve/work only minutes from you,we have been getting the same weather,and turf problems.What i have is red thread,the high rain actually leaches the n thru the soil,so more fertilizer is needed than in a usualy season,this is coming on the heals of a fall/winter that was so warm the grass spent a lot of time out of dormancy,and went under very late in the fall,actually winter.This situation caused the grass to use up its energy stores for the winter,so it came up with no reserves this spring,so the fertility has been low in general in our area,I had to spring fertilze for the first time in yrs this spring.Id fix it with a shot of N.

3. I would say the same from the disciption, but cannot tell from pic.

We have had much the same conditions you have had this couple of seasons.

So far I am lucky to have no diseases "yet" knock on wood.

I do expect a lot due to the extreamly moist weather spurts we are having.

4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Yay, Pelican, thought red thresd before I saw your picture. Take a look at this: http://www.btny.purdue.edu/Pubs/#turf , fourth topic is red thread, click link and see all about it.

Not a major worry, only leaves are dead, once fert levels return, new leaves will fill in bad spots. Have seen much more than normal this year out here also.

5. Pelican

Pelican LawnSite Member

Sorry for the delay in responding, I had equipment problems to resolve. I really appreciate everyone's help here with the red thread. I informed the customer of the problem and of his options for cure, he's taking it up with Lawn Dr. He was very impressed with my concern, and with your help I scored BIG points with a big customer.

An observation: Isn't it ironic that the one who claims to be a "Grass Guru" and to be so interested in spreading knowlege had no comment here?

GroundKprs, I've tried several times but can't get your link to come up. I'd be interested in seeing the article if there is another link. Thanks.

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, guy, the whole botany dept is unavailable right now on web. Can't get any of their pages to load. They must be overhauling it, or have a major problem. Try again in a few days.