Turf Turning Yellow

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Premo Services, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I applied momentum at the low rate on the lable and in the areas that were spot treeated the turf is turning yellow.
    How do you keep the turf from turning. Do you mix some fert in with the herbicide?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Spot treating is iffy. you cannot control the rate easily. Put a gallon of water in your sprayer spray until gone on concrete. This is the number of sqft per gallon. Mix accordingly. Now when you see a weed spray the same way--do not over dose. Do not squeeze the trigger and count to three.

Kill the weed--don't leave a smokin crater!

3. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

If the grass is turning yellow you overdosed. If your overdosing adding fertilizer is not the answer. As Riggle said you need to adjust the rate your putting down. If it was real hot out when you did the spot treatment this could compound the problem. Especially if your applying too much.

4. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

Mixing it correctly is the easy part. Applying it correctly is the hard part. Most people don't know how much is enough and generally "overdo" it in large, weedy areas. Of course, it doesn't help too much that the product looks like water and if your eyeballs are 5'5" away from the weeds, it's somewhat difficult to remember where you've been and where you haven't been.

For areas that are too large to spot treat, you're much better off if you have at least a 50 gallon sprayer with an engine and regulator that you can calibrate to spray 2 gallons per minute. Then you can practice spraying water at that rate until you can cover 1,000 sq. feet in that minute, using just the 2gallons. Also, don't spray if it's over 80 degrees.

5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Wow.:confused:

It's easy to see you don't have skin in the game...anymore, at least !

Must be nice... just prescribing solutions for people from that virtual "perfect world" behind the Lesco-eaten-by-a-Deere sales desk.

6. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Obviously 80 degree temperature point is hard to maintain this time of year and I do not believe there is a temp restriction on Momentum. I have seen restrictions on some herbicide. I personally have sprayed without damage as high as 95 degrees. Damage can occur even using correct rate if misapplication and or the turf is already suffering from stress, be it man made or from mother nature.

This is an industry where experience speaks volumes and inexperience can cost you dollars.....

Marcos, that is what Lesco/JDl employees do, offer advice to people who when asked what their calibrated at have a deer in the headlight look. Don't jump on the Cobra for offering help.

7. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Mscotrid. I appreciate it.

As for you Marcos, keep on kicking the LESCO/John Deere Landscapes employees, stores, products, whatever. It's obvious to everyone on this site that you're very bitter toward the entire company and frankly, your slights towards them have gotten old. I DO have skin in this game but because it may not be as an owner/applicator, I'll NEVER aspire to meet YOUR expectations. I will let you know that my skin is definitely thick enough to handle whatever you can throw at it.

I come on here to help out people on this site who NEED help (or they wouldn't be asking these questions) and I try my best to give them the knowledge that I have learned from both APPLYING and also SELLING the products. While I no longer apply products to over 450 lawns each round, that doesn't mean that I can't offer advice. I try only to reply to the posts that I feel that I CAN answer and do so with a very well thought out answer. I definitely try to stay away from offering poor advice.

I know that with many herbicides, you can spray with temps higher than 80 degrees. However, I'm not going to "offer" that advice because that opens the door for them to "assume" that anything goes. Because of this, I try to err to the side of caution so that they get good results without damaging their lawns. Anyone who offers good advice is not always "listened" to and as a result, they get blamed when damage does occur. Of course, the professionals sometimes "skirt" the directions on the labels without any adverse affects because they have to in order to get production done, I would never give this advice to a homeowner who's trying to care for his one and only lawn.

Check as many posts of mine as you want and the truth will be revealed. You'll see that I'm no clown and I deserve to be respected on this site.

With that, I'd like to let you know that all is not bad at LESCO/John Deere Landscpapes.

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I saw one spot in a lawn where we spot sprayed a patch of clover about ten days ago-- the K Bluegrass was yellowed but was still alive and coming back nicely. The tech spot sprayed it too heavy. You get some guys who just "mist" the weeds, and some guys nearly "drench" 'em. Usually a happy medium is good.

As far as our local John Deere Landscape is concerned...........We love those guys! Friendly, knowledgable, and decent prices. Actually great prices on pesticides - the fert is pricey, but that's to be expected. BTW my LESCO friends are still there, just the name has changed, and they continue their top notch service.:usflag:

9. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Turning yellow?? could also be fungus.. been AWEFULLY wet out there lately..

10. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Work on your spray technique.
    You should make a sweeping pass over the target weeds with the wand.
    If you point a shoot you will overdose. IMO