Turf type tall fescue winter cut

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by hmc610, Dec 1, 2009.

1. hmc610

hmc610 LawnSite Member
    from SW, MO

How tall should I cut ttt fescue for the last cut before winter? It has been cut at 3" all year but, these last 2 times I cut it at 2-1/2". Is 2-1/2" fine for winter or should I go shorter? Thanks

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We typically recommend 2" for first and last mowings, and 3' or higher the rest of the season.

3. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

heck here no need to cut short by xmass the deer cut it down
    Charles Cue

4. hmc610

hmc610 LawnSite Member
    from SW, MO

Thanks for the answers

5. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

i dont understand you guys cutting shorter in winter we go 5" with the walkers and let it go 3 weeks between cut all winter

6. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

From what I have read, the last cut of the season should be short to help prevent fungal diseases during the winter. Tall, wet grass is more likely to get diseased.

7. XLS

we have never seen fungus from high cutting , it is an odd situation i guess

8. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

thats becouse you dont have the snow like northen state get tall grass gets wet and beat down and it gets moldy and rotten
    Charles Cue

9. XLS

got ya thanks

10. Grasshopper49

Grasshopper49 LawnSite Member

As suggested, 2 - 2 1/2 inches is great for the first and last cut of the season. It will release auxin and help thicken the grass. For fescue or KY bluegrass summer height can be up to 3 1/2 inches. Tall grass is NOT good, especially over the winter. It can cause disease issues, and starts to grow horizontal instead of vertical. Not good for the lawn or appearance.