turf vent 40" with 4 point on 318 john deere. please help

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by grass disaster, Apr 11, 2008.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i can get a turf vent aerator 40" shipped to me for around $425 i can also get a 3 point hitch for around $400 so total cost would be around $800.

is my 318 going to be able to handle this? is this a good price for and aeration unit? or should i just scrap the idea of getting a 3 point and buy the pull behind($600)?

2. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Gopher It! I use a 41" Turfco 3 point behind a JD 455. The three point mount is much easier to use than a tow behind.

One question though, is the Turf-Vent Cat 1, Cat 0, or both? I think the 318 3 pt is Cat 0.

3. grass disaster

do you have any pictures of this? do they make a 41" anymore? how many cores/units are in that 41"? 10 i'm guessing.

is that a lot of weight for your machine? i believe the 318 is quite a bit smaller. you think i will have no problems with lifting this?

4. jeffinsgf

For some reason I don't understand, Turfco dropped their 41 inch model.

That 318 is a great, heavy duty little grunt of a tractor. Throw some ballast weights on the front end and get 'er done!

5. jeffinsgf

I looked at the web site for Turf Vent.

Your 318 can handle about 500 pounds on the 3 point, if I recall correctly. That aerator has a shipping weight of 104. That is a little light in the loafers, if you ask me. You'll have to add serious weight to it to get any penetration.

I think the 36" Turf-Aire is more for your money.

http://65.109.191.157/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_24/products_id/30

6. grass disaster

are there any other options out there for aerators in the 40" range?

i want to keep it in the range of 36"-42" any bigger i don't think it would handle it very well and i wouldn't be able to fit inside 4' gates.

7. jeffinsgf

I don't think anything out there can match the quality and value for your dollar of the turf-aire.

8. grass disaster

this does look nice. i wonder where all the weight comes from? i wonder if weight can be added to the top of it.

$450 looks like a good price. i'm sure it's a bunch to ship though.