Turfco 20 OR Bluebird 530a

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Elite LawnCare, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Elite LawnCare

Elite LawnCare LawnSite Member

A local salvage yard had three aerator's. Two are Turfco 20's ones a little more beat up than the other. The other one is a Bluebird 530a which seems to be a bit newer. I have done the search option and see a lot about the Turfco 26's. Right now I am leaning towards the Turfco. Does anyone have any input on this? Greatly appreciated. The Turfco is going for $900 and the Bluebird $800 what do you guys think?
  2. All Season Lawn Care

All Season Lawn Care LawnSite Member

In my opinion i would go with the bluebird....they have been the choice aerator along with the ryan for years and parts are very easy to get just my $.02:cool2:
  3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Bluebird has been making reliable equipment for this industry for a very long time and make equipment for many other company's as well, just take a look at some other brands and you will see. I have owned and used Bluebird equipment from the beginning back in the early 90s and have been well satisfied. Service is something to consider also, Bluebird is one of the most widely used brands around and most service dept are familiar with them.
  4. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

The Turfco will be rebuildable as long as the frame is intact. Check the chains and sprockets. the sealed bearings on the ends of the shafts. the lift links that the wheels mount on chould be worn and the lift rod could be worn. All are repairable. The Turfco will deliver years of service with repairs. It is easier to use than the bluebird and you do not have to service the chains everyday like you do with a bluebird. Once a month during use is usually adequate with the Turfco on chain Maint. If you get the Turfco you can call Turfco and get service help and parts direct.
  5. Elite LawnCare

Elite LawnCare LawnSite Member

I appriciate everyones responce. I ended up going with the Turfco20 for $900. Turfcobob....what do I do for the chain maint? Is it basic lube once a month or do I have to tighten the chain? I think it is great I can call Turfco even though I bought a used piece of equipment. I looked it over and all seems good as of now but I will let you know if I have any repair questions. How do I know if the tines need to be replaced? To me it dosent look like they need to be.