Turfco Aerator -- 3.5 Briggs IDLE ADJUSTMENT

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jlbf0786, Sep 27, 2013.

1. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Charlotte, NC

Okay,
    I've removed the gearbox, on the Briggs shaft there's a gear pinion that has teeth on it. How do I go about removing it from the Briggs engine shaft?
    If I can get this figured out I'll be good to go.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Ahhh...... jlbf0786......

Having never seen one of these machines I had no idea it had a gear reduction box on the engine, The gear on the crank IS part of the crank..... It doesn't come off, Therefore the HF engine isn't going to work......

Sorry for the confusion and wasted time...... :hammerhead:

3. jlbf0786

Male, from Charlotte, NC

picture of the gear box pinion.

can it be removed or is it just part of the shaft.. which it seems to be. and that sucks.

briggs with gear pinion.jpg

4. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

The gear is part of the crank....
    The good news is ..all you have to do is remove the side cover to replace the governor gear..

5. jlbf0786

Male, from Charlotte, NC

I'm just going to take it by the repair shop tomorrow and see if I can get my buddy to take a look at it without having to charge me. I've already put the briggs back onto the aerator frame and installed the gearbox back on it. I know he can fix it, but with all the aerators and other equipment they've got coming into the shop I hate to ask him to take time out and look at my equipment.

-Thanks for all the help guys,

6. tigerepairdotcom

tigerepairdotcom LawnSite Senior Member

Good point for some reason this one flew right over my head. I was thinking 2 strokes revving with air leak.

Although Rather than clean a carb people are likely to tighten the governor spring to raise rpm. So carb may have been the issue.