Turfco Bed Edgers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by glllc, Apr 13, 2004.

1. glllc

glllc LawnSite Member
    from CT

Has anyone used the turfco edge-R-Rite ll bed edger? Is it any good? Ive used the brown bed edger/trencher. worked good, did a nice job, but dangerous as hell how it throws the rocks. it makes a pretty good mess. Looking into purchasing one, wanted to know what everyones experience has been.

2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used the turfco and the brown. Your right the brown will throw things, but for straight out bed edging or trenching the Brown is much faster, easier, and pulverized the soil, so you can just spread it out.
    However, the turfco is a very versatile machine. You can edge beds with it, you can cut sod with it, trench, and even edge walks. It doesn't throw things, but it is a bit slower and you have the cut material to remove.

3. glllc

glllc LawnSite Member
    from CT

Thanks for the advice Paul, but what one would you buy? Also,
    what happens when you hit tree routes?

4. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

i know the brown sells new for right around 2200. How much is the turfco? It cuts sod? Is it good for irrigation lines? Is the brown good for irrigation lines?

5. Steady Mowing

Steady Mowing LawnSite Member

EZ Trench Bedshaper is also a great machine. Similar to the brown but more manuverable. Doesn't catch up on lawn when dragging it back and forth.

6. Steady Mowing

Steady Mowing LawnSite Member

The brown will go through roots and large rocks, but rocks are rough on the blade and at around $100, you don't want to keep going through them. I own the brown and love it, but have had to rent the EZ Trench on occasion and actually like it better. It has a dial to quickly adjust height and doesn't throw rocks out as bad as the brown

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

The turfco doesn't go through roots. If I just needed to do bed edging I would go with the brown or eZ treancher. If I wanted one machine that could do a few different things with different attachments then I would go wiht the turfco.