Turfgrass Pest class at Purdue - $275!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KirbysLawn, Nov 14, 2000.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Just got a flyer in the mail from Purdue University. It is for the "Turfgrass Pest Management Correspondence Course". It is a self study course with 10 chapters, the cost is $275 us, $30 postage for Canada, and $60 outside the US. The phone number to order information is 1-800-830-0269 or 765-494-2748.

Looks like a comprehensive class from a very creditable university.

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Here is the outline:
  3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds reasonable. Here in CT the supervisory course and test is $250 once a week class locally either north or south part of the state. Includes both turf and ornamental. Dont know what the applicator course costs but the super is a much better license to have.
  4. Years back I took a 3 day course in turfgrass management provided by the Monroe Cty.Penn State Co op Extension . It was one day a week for three weeks with lunch included everyday for $75.00 total and was taught by phds from State College.

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Got mine in the mail today. I'll probably pass on it.
  6. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Got mine too, we must be on the same mailing list that was sold.
  7. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

I wanted to add a little here. I get brochures from Rutgers for the same thing. The 3day course would be beneficial but the traveling alone would kill me. Do what I do, see if your extension office has classes for this. It may not be 3 days but in one day I usually got up to date leaflets, Q+A with the Ag agent or guest speaker or both, and a few munchables. Attending these classes also gives you credits to maintain a pest. lic. This may run 15- 50.00 but I go for free since I took a master gardeners course 3 yrs ago.