1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Turflon/Application Rate

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Scraper, Apr 23, 2001.

1. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a mulch job and the beds are infiltrated with all types of broadleaf weeds. Problem is that the weeds are growing up amongst plant stock. I bought the Turflon Saturday from my local Lesco guys. (Boy it's expensive! $175/quart) As a selective broadleaf herbicide I figured this is the way to go as I have to spray among junipers, cotoneasters, yews and azaleas.

My question is...they say 1 oz will treat 1,000 square feet. I am using a Solo 5 gallon backpack sprayer and lost my instructions that might have told me calibrations. In lieu of going out and manually calibrating it...can anyone tell me the sqaure foot coverage for 5 gallons? Also...if anyone has used this before, how much did you charge per square foot? I am looking at spraying nearly 4,000 square feet of landscape beds.

Any other advice/use recommendations is appreciated!

2. Scraper

Sorry...it is a 4 gallon sprayer
  3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I have never heard of a selective broadlef killer that would work "over the top" on a broadleaf plant like azaleas. I am willing to hear what others say about this product, as at that cost it must be a new one I haven't heard of. Dave
  4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

How many ounces per gallon do you mix? If 1 oz treats 1000 sf it would depend on how many ounces go into a gallon. Also, it would be difficult to say how many sf it will cover, this would vary depending on walking speed, spraying pressure, nozzle size and such.

Back Pack Calabration:

* Time pressure output, know how much your sprayer delivers.

Ounces divided by second x 60 seconds divided by 128 oz = gal/min

4 oz/6 sec=.66oz/secx60=39.999 oz per minute/128=.31 gal/min

*Speed, know how fast you need to walk to deliver the correct volume.

Distance divided by time (in seconds) x 60 seconds = feet per minute.

25 ft/8.4 seconds = 2.97 ft/sec x 60 = 178 ft per minute.

* Coverage area:

Ft/min x nozzle spacing (inches) divided 12 in/ft = sf/min

178 ft/min x 30 in / 12in/ft = 445 sq ft per min

[​IMG]HEY, wake up, I'm not done yet!

*Volume, how much will the tank cover?: (5000 sq ft per 3.5 gal)

3.5 gal / 5000 sf = 0.7 gal/ 1000 sf
    Equal to 30.5 gal/acre

*Now, put all of this crap together:

Target volume / acyual volume per min = minutes to deliver target volume

0.7 gal/ .31 gal per min = 2.26 minutes to deliver .7 gal

If you are walking 445 sq ft per minute x 2.26 minutes = 1005 sf per .7 gal

Is everyone asleep now?

5. Scraper

6. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Kirby, Great Post!!!
  7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Scraper- After viewing the web address above, I still wouldn't spray over the top of azaleas or over anything not listed in the label. Godd luck ! Dave
  8. Scraper

Dave...I put it down thursday...wilting by Saturday morning. I really did not have to spray over much except some cotoneasters. Everything else I could spot spray. Did a few test spots on my lawn at home as well as sprayed a couple scaggly azaleas on my property to see if thedre is any ill effect. I'll let you know.

BTW: The label lists overtop spray of azaleas