turflon ester by the gallon

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by aquasport, Oct 11, 2009.

1. aquasport

aquasport LawnSite Member

About five years ago I purchased a gallon of monterey turflon ester (on-line).
    I have since ran out and am looking to purchase more but forgot where I purchased from. Can someone guide me to a site where buy more
    Thanks

2. atouchofnature

atouchofnature LawnSite Member

I haven't used Turflon in years. When I need to deal with brush or violets, I use Crossbow (which is a similar product). Most Southern States or Tractor Supply stores carry Crossbow. In a pinch, Ortho's Brush-B-Gone will substitute, and can be found at Lowe's or Home Depot.

3. atouchofnature

atouchofnature LawnSite Member

4. aquasport

aquasport LawnSite Member

I have bermuda grass in my tall fescue, I prefer turflon ester.

5. ksJoe

ksJoe LawnSite Senior Member

Prefer it over.... Fusilade II/Ornamec? I'm curious why

I'm a homeowner with bermuda in my tall fescue, just started treating with Fusilade this fall

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

How does your fescue handle being sprayed with Fusilade/Ornamec? Reason why I ask is Turflon ester applied with Fusilade or Ornamec acts as an antidote for the fescue, while enhancing the activity on the bermuda.

7. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Greendoctor,
    Are you referring to the discoloration of the Fescue as it may slow the growth in using the Fluazifop?
    Triclopyr will stunt the bermuda if spayed just before the dorman season. It may stunt or discolor the fescue too!
    Is this what you are referring.??
    I only use Fluazifop in beds.........too expensive and stinks like pre-m to use on lawns in general. Triclopyr is used around my ditchbanks to keep out all of the goldenrod--and other hard to kill weedy stemmed stuff.

8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. Interestingly enough, combining the two gives the best of both worlds. In my area, Fusilade or Acclaim by itself is very risky on zoysia. You might owe someone a new lawn. Adding Turflon has kept the Fusilade from browning zoysia. The happy side effect of this is most hard to kill broadleaf weeds are toast. I do not think 4 oz per acre of Fusilade is that expensive. Most of my other applications are painfully expensive.

9. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

" Quoted"-"Adding Turflon has kept the Fusilade from browning zoysia."

How interesting!!!
    Did you learn this from trial and error or by research reports.? I would love to have your sources.

10. ksJoe

ksJoe LawnSite Senior Member

So far it has tolerated it well. I do have a sprinlker system, so I can water it plenty. I did the fusilade about a month ago. Some areas the growth is stunted, but its still green. Those areas had thick bermuda, which now looks dead. I had lightly fertlized and watered shortly before to get it actively growing.

My application isn't as even as you guys get. I'm using a Gilmour hose sprayer (362). I filled it with water, carefully measured off 1k, and tested how much I applied. But the manual said for chemicals thicker than water, it wouldn't apply as much. I didn't want want to guess the difference, so for my first attempt I assumed it would apply equally. My first attempt only applied around 10% the target rate. I waited a few days and tried again, getting around 50%. Waited a week or two and did a much larger area, and got right at my target/label rate. I'm aiming for the middle of the label rate.

That last time I applied, I had an accidental squirt before everything was adjusted. About 3 square feet got hit hard. Maybe 2x or 3x? I expected to have a spot to reseed, but it seems fine. It just isn't growing much.

One thing that's helping, is marker dye. With the amount of dye I'm using, the dye just barely starts to change the color of the grass when I have the right amount of fusilade. So I'm getting it much more even than you might expect with a hose sprayer. It also makes leaks easier to spot on my gloves.