1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

turn em" in?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrush, Apr 27, 2008.

1. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

I was talking with my equipment dealer today about all the pick up trucks with mowers in them, no name, under the table type out there. You know, the people cutting prices for us as well as potential customers lawns. How many people would turn in these under the table "businesses"? He told me theres one guy in town that if he sees you trimming a tree he calls you in. At first I thought what a d!*k. But then I thought, he got his arborist licence, this is how he feeds his family, same way I do mine with mowing/landscaping. If these pitas started getting turned in, that would cut alot of lowballers, and put more customers into the market. So, I guess my question is, would you turn in an unlicenced, uninsured company?
  2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Nope, Im to busy at work to worry about the other guy.
  3. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

How are you going to know if their unlicensed and uninsured? If you started turning in everybody you thought might not be legit...that would make you a d1ck. You'd probably turn me in only to find out I am legit and not a lowballer anyway.
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You can't tell just by looking at someone if they are legit are not.
    Ex: We have ALWAYS collected state sales tax. However, our first year, I thought it would be simplier to the customer just to bid a round number.
    So if we bid a lawn at $30, then $28.30 went to us, $1.70 to the state.
    That was a HUGE mistake, and I quickly learned and the following year, I converted everyone over. A $30 lawn became $31.80.

My point is, we have gone on estimates now, gave our price, told the customer about the sales tax, and they will say, "sales tax? why sales tax, my other guy never charged sales tax." Well thinking back on things, heck customers could have said that about us our first year, when infact we did have our sales tax license from the moment we started in biz.

Bottom line is: You can never just really know for sure.