1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Turn lights wont light up

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawncare, Jan 24, 2002.

1. lawncare

lawncare LawnSite Member

I purchase a 1976 ford f100 today 390 engine, all the lights work except the turn signals they wont even register on the dash. does anyone have a clue whats the cause of this have replaced the round dimmer switch, anything else I should check :confused:
  2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Turn signals are separate from the headlight circuit, so I don't think the dimmer switch will have any effect on them.

Most obvious thing to check is fuse and the flasher unit itself, I have a mid-70's GMC so I don't speak "Ford" too well ;) but I believe the flasher unit should plug into the fuse panel. The flasher may be dead, or it could be just not making good contact with the terminals.

If you get the signals working but the indicator lights on the dash don't work, then it's the small bulbs in the indicators.

Since the switch mounted under the steering wheel controls everything, a problem there can also mean "no signals". I believe this switch also incorporates the 4-way flasher circuit switch as well, there may be a problem there.
  3. 99fld120

99fld120 LawnSite Member

gotta be the flasher unit or the fuse....do they work if you work the signal switch do the lites come on?, got brake lites?
  4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

If the emergency flashers work then it's a fuse or flasher problem. The emergency flasher uses the same wires running back to the lights and it works from a different flasher than the ts lights.
  5. lawncare

lawncare LawnSite Member

I have brake lights I replaced the flasher unit, I check the old flasher unit in my jeep and the unit work in their so I know the flasher unit are good. still won't light up on dash or turn singial wont come on:confused:
  6. lawncare

lawncare LawnSite Member

:confused: I pushed the hazard button the left side blinks and shows on the dash,the right side lights stay on but dosent blink or show on the dash, i took the front right blink cover off and it was grounded from inside the bulb with a wire on the frame when i took it lose it still wouldnt blink on the right any other suggestions:confused:
  7. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

go under the truck and check all your wiring to the turnsignals. chances are you might have a bare wire touching the frame or something . I had basicly the same problem with my 80 chevy. I crawled underneith and found the wires had burned up against the exhaust and caused a short in the circuit.
  8. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

When your emergency flasher is on are the lights on the right side much dimmer than on the left? Does your left turn signal work?