"turn my soil"....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lurch, Apr 28, 2007.

1. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

i've got a client that would like his 'soil turned' so he can plant flowers and the like....

i assume this is tilling his soil...i'm just not familiar with his term...

if it is tilling, i went to the tool rental place and priced a tiller. The total area is around 300 sq ft....i figured with the price of the tiller and labor/delivery and pick-up i'm looking at a profit of around 75 smackaroos....

is this low/high?

thanks for the feedback

2. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

if it takes you more than 2 hours to get tiller, till lawn, return tiller than its low. If you can do it in 2 hours or less than its medioker

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

The first thing you do is you get a price list from the rental place that you are going to be using when you need to rent something. Stop in at the beginning of the season each year, and pick up a new price list so you can check to see if their rates increased.
    During the season the last thing you need to be doing is running to rental places checking out prices.

Yes, the client means tilling. While you have the tiller, see if you can sell that service to any of your existing clients. not always possible, but worth a shot, someone else might want their garden tilled. $75 bucks i guess will be ok, just as long as you don't have a lot of time wasted going to and from the rental place. Maximum time from start to finish would have to be 2 hours to even make this a little bit worth your while.

4. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

i was actually thinking of using it on my own yard while i had it...i'm locally based so i'm very close to the client and the rental place...i could kill two birds with one stone...good thinkin...thanks