turn soil into cold hard cash

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnfreak, May 26, 2004.

1. lawnfreak

lawnfreak LawnSite Member

has anyone ever read the book Turn Soil into Cold Hard Cash by Robin Pedrotti. We have just decided to add lawn aeration to our business and i wanted to get a little moer info on this. I have heard this is a good book but im still not sure if i want to spend $45.00 on it. Is it worth the money? Thanks

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i have it, i recived it for xmas, its a great book. i started aerating and there is ALOT of cash in it. it only takes you about 10min for 5ksq ft and u can make an easy $75. just ahve to be careful for the sprinklers. anyway, yes i have this book (among with alot of other books) and its helped me.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I see that you have been in business for 5 years. You more than likely know most of what is in the book. What you don't you can find out on lawnsite. He talks about advertizing a lot and how to run a business. Hates trailers so he puts the Lawnair 28 (about 400#) into the back of a pick-up. Shows how to write your flyers.
    Tells how to get jobs.

If you never ran a business or knew nothing about lawncare than this book might help but being in the business I think you could put $45.00 to better use. All the info in the book can be found here on lawnsite for free.
    Good luck with the new endeavor. I do it and it is my most profitable sale.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I will have to be on the look out for this book. Is it just about aeration?

5. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

bassically its just about areation, i got mine on amazon, along with 5 other landscape/lawn maintence books.

6. lawnfreak

lawnfreak LawnSite Member

before you start aerating do you go throughout the yard and mark all of the sprinkler heads?

7. PMLAWN

Lawnfreak, YES YES YES!. And valve box covers, I missed one last year and hit it. like the Beverly Hillbillies, only not oil. Pushed it down on the water line and cracked it. Suppy line, so under pressure.

8. PMLAWN

I guess that I should say it this way--- The heads need to be marked but let the homeowner do it .I drop flags at est. tell them to mark and that they are responsible. Still try to keep watch for drain pipes and valve covers.

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

10 minutes on 5K for $75. You either have the worlds most badass aerator, are doing a terrible shoddy job, or you're lying.

I have the book. Basic beginner stuff. Certainly not worth $45 (soft cover, big print)

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Its a good book to read. I read mine and sold it. Mr. Pedrotti should come out with an updated edition because he has no mention of Invisible Dog Fence in there.:mad:
    Otherwise, the concepts of the book are good.