1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Turn the radio off

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Az Gardener, May 2, 2008.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

At the suggestion of my biz coach I have turned my radio in my truck (where I spend the majority of my day alone) off. If all you have to occupy your thoughts is your business or what ever problems you have, I believe you will be more likely to improve your situation. I have come up with quite a few possible solutions to some challenges I am facing. So I am suggesting strongly you turn off your radio, give it a few days.
  2. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

To me it seems that it would depend on what you were listening to, wouldn't it.

David's radio fuse burnt out a week or two ago, and he's a news freak. He does seem a bit more focused...but only, it seems because he wants to get home and watch CNN!

To me, some music is better than nothing if I really need a break from thinking.

Maybe, after writing all this, I do agree to an extent. Think about your buisness most of the time, and then turn it on for a song or two when your stressed.
  3. Az Gardener

I have not listened to music regularly for years. All talk radio, mostly financial stations and news/politics both local and national with just a bit of sports talk too. But I found the same things were rehashed to death so it did not take much urging from my coach to flip the switch.

The movie The Secret says what you focus on you get, and when you give your brain a problem and allow time for it to figure things out it usually comes up with several potential solutions. I spend a lot of my time working on deals to buy or manage other companies so I can maximize the value of the training and hiring systems I have developed.

Lately a lot of opportunities have come out of the blue. You know the kinds of things you day dream about but don't really expect to happen. I guess I need to start day dreaming about winning the lottery :laugh:
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Most people pay attention to there driving while driving....

Unless your just sitting in your truck.

this method had worked for me for over 47 years.......

But that's Just me
  5. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Az - I have read The Secret twice now ... what did you think of the movie? Also, where did you find a Biz coach. Are they a mentor, or actually a person who coaches biz owners?

I usually listen to the radio/music whenever i can. I am a little different than the norm as i play drums, guitar, and sing. Ive sang in some bands also. Ive also seen thousands of bands live, and new music is always bouncing around inside my head watiting for me to commit it to paper.

What works for some, may not work for all.....
  6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

When working, I can go for hours without turning the radio on in the truck, and have been that way for years. I usually tune into the all day news station for 10 minutes or so for a traffic and weather update periodically. I turn it up when I turn my brain off at the end of the day. or when I'm not working. It seems as though I got enough going on between my ears to entertain myself throughout the day.
  7. Az Gardener

The movie was a little redundant but I thought the message was good. It could have been a 15 minute movie. I met my coach at a sales class I took. I don't think he needed the class he was just there networking. It was 3-4 years after I mt him before I was in a position to afford his services. I worked with him for 2 years and was off for the last 3 years but my business has grown to a point where I have new challenges and I like his input.

Call him a coach, mentor, business therapist, partner that you can fire or ignore, whatever the title he helps me out a lot. See my E-myth thread in the business forum, his contact info is in the very first one. The last post about proactive -vs-reactive management is great.
  8. Desertdweller

Desertdweller LawnSite Member

I agree with the turning the radio off especially when seeking tough answers. It's in those quite moments that I ask God for His guidance and wisdom. My life and business have been more than I imagined just a few years ago when I earnestly began to listen. As bohiaa said, most of the listening is done in the moments when not driving. It's very risky down here to drive and not concentrate on the guy beside you.
  9. Az Gardener

I will openly admit this is frightening and I don't know how it occurs. I often get places without remembering much of the trip. ;) I also get places I did not intend to go. I once remember passing a sign that said Marion 89 miles and the next sign that seemed only minutes away said Marion 14 miles. I don't drink or do any drugs never have.

I would say I have driven at least 50 % more miles than the average driver through my 46 years and only had 1 crash. A very long day, a boat and woman on my mind was involved, Oh a speeding guy that ran a orange light was also involved. I seem to have an auto pilot of sorts. I am a very good driver even if a little absent minded. I'm sure someone will come forth with medical condition I should be aware of.

Desert dweller if you want to avoid me stay off Tatum, Northern, Camelback, The 51 and Greenway. :laugh:
  10. Desertdweller

Desertdweller LawnSite Member

Thanks AZ, I'll remember that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!