Turn up the pressure?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by rockytopp, Oct 24, 2007.

1. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

Hey Gang,
    I have a 542-B Bob Cat. I am told That I can turn up the pressure and get more
    lift and bucket power. A friend of mine has an older model and he has turned his up , so far all is well, I am concerned about blowing hose's or makeing the the hydraulics leak in general. Has any one turned theirs up? There is a cover nut that you take off of the valve body and then screw the smaller bolt under it in and that gives more pressure, I sure would like to know if this is an exceptable thing to do, As it is it will not lift a full bucket of dirt or rock and when I use the back hoe attachment it really ;grunts to do any thing. Thanks for all help on this thing.. Paul.

2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i have a little kubota b7100 16hp with a loader. i was able to lift a shed with it. i had to put the brush hog on the back and stack blocks on the rear of that to keep the tires down. even then they were very light. so clearly mine was adjusted. thevalve body leaks a bit but no lines. i was told only move it a hair on mine or i could blow the high volume pump

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Most of my machines are tuned past mfg specs but it's not for every day use... It's so I have it when I absolutely need it, and I know my machine's mfg limitations and work within them most other times. Only thing I know is when the hose(s) blow (or more likely, start to leaking), you'll want to look into getting higher psi ones to replace them with, if that's possible (it should be, I would think).
    And I wouldn't go much past 10-20%, somewhere in that range, even if you could go more I wouldn't...
    Because somewhere in this process you'll be red lining, there aren't any gauges to let you know this, I don't think.
    You don't want to go but a tad into the red zone, too far and there's trouble, but 10-20% should work.
    There might be more, idk...

4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Can you turn up the pressure, most likely, should you turn it up, not necessarly. I would first put a guage in the line to see if the machine is below factory spec. If so, then adjust until the proper pressure level is reached. Turning up the pressure does more than just give you more lifting power, it also causes more heat in your hydraulic system. This heat will damage the hydraulic pump, shorting its life span, overheat the oil causeing more wear and tear on other internal parts. Also the greater lifting power will result in more weight being placed on the front axle of the tractor and will cause excess wear and premature breakage of front axle compotents. Adding extra weight to the rear of the tractor just to keep the frontend on the ground will multiply the forces on the front axle and possibly cause unsafe conditions to the operator, especially if a line burst with a heavy load in the bucket. If you choose to exceed manufacturer specs on the lift capacity of the loader, do so in small increments

5. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

Hey Gang!
    I Found a friend of a friend and he is a crackerjack hydraulic man, and has been around and worked on lots of different machines. He put a gauge on my unit and
    I turned on the adjustment till he told me to stop. It took about three quarters of a turn or close to one full turn. What a change, it is now a go getter, and its within limits of its capacity. I used it for two days and I did blow a front bucket hose but had a old worn spot in it so it would have went shortly. Only lost about a quart of fluid as I shut down quick and was empty so all was great. twenty bucks and back to work... Thanks for all the advice on this rig. It does pay to be safe and not over load,course no one would do that..... Right???? best of luck to you all...