1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Turned Down

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lux Lawn, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Ever been turned down on an estimate because you were to cheap? This lady calls me a few weeks ago and asks for an estimate for everything lawn maintenance fertilizer clean-ups (spring & fall) all the bush trimmings and snowplowing for her driveway and her neighbor and like everybody she wants a discount if she gets me her neighbors driveway for the winter.So we walk through the yard and I give her a price and she likes everything right away but says my plowing price is $75 cheaper then all the flyer's she got and wants to know how I can do it for that price.Hey lady if you want to pay more you can I have know problem with that.She says go ahead and put me on the list for lawn work next year I will call you about plowing ,talk to her briefly on the phone about it come to know conclusion she has to talk to her husband.What a joke why waste my time.
    In the spring there is know way I am working for that lady I will tell her I booked my route off of my new snowplow customers in November and she lost her spot we only work for people 12 months a year not 8 anymore.
  2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

that's strange. i guess she's one of those paranoid people who fear you will get hurt on her property and may not be covered under your own insurance, or something along those lines. Did she ask for documents of any type? just tell her i'm effcient when i'm working, and can price accordingly. If you like, i can add a customer requested "surcharge" if it makes you feel better. :)

check your PM if you didn't see it yet. :blob3:
  3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

or maybe it was one of your competitors grandmothers wanting to know what his competitors is charging.... Ever thought of that???
  4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe she just had too much pride to admit you cost more than she really wanted to spend.. Forget her and move on..
  5. Freshcut Lawn Care

Freshcut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

We have never been turned down for being too cheap! :)

We have never been accused of that! :p

PremierLandscaping...You may be right about the competitor's pricing out the competion. It would be one way to do it!

6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Low bid gets thrown out all the time , especially if you get 4 prices and 3 out of 4 are lets say in the range of 900 to 1100 for the job and you come in at 550 , most consumers would be afraid you cant do a good job at that price.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see anything in here that would cause me to read into it that you were too cheap, and that's why you didn't get it. She just said that you were $75 cheaper than everyone else she had heard from. She may have just mentioned that. She could have someone already lined up for it, and she wanted to discuss it with her husband before letting the other go. She may have had NO one lined up and perhaps her husband did the snow before. Leave the options open, and don't be so quick to draw conclusions. Alot of people have alot of different things going on. I've heard some doosies in my time, also, and have still gotten the jobs.
    The philosophy of being to low and NOT getting the job does hold true, though. Would you have some guy rebuild your tranny for 150 bucks?
  8. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

That's strange. It seems only the other way around here. Everyone wants the cheapest. Where are you at? I'm in Euclid.
  9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I am in Richmond Hts. and the driveway is in South Euclid.If you are In Euclid you probably know whats going on around here with the plowing everybody is lowering there prices over the years instead of raising them.I'm not trying to turn this into a plowing topic she wants us to do all of the work for her.The price for her driveway I think was $225.
  10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

is that per storm?