Turned over my Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shane Woods, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Shane Woods

Shane Woods LawnSite Member

I guess I got just a little to confident! While mowing a new lawn today I flipped my Walker of a rock ledge about four feet tall. Anyone who has owned a Walker knows that they don't have great traction going up hills. When I came around the end of the rock ledge and started up the hill I lost traction and started sliding back, luckily I jumped clear just before she went over. No damage done to me or the mower. I think in the future I will use my Z-Master on this account.:eek:

2. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Glad to hear you're OK, sure coulda been worse.

3. Smart thinking, use the Z-master (Lazer power unit)

I don't think you'll be doing that again.

4. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Yep,a Walker sliding backwards down a hill,your only there for the ride.Jumping was the smart thing to do!:eek:

5. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

wow- glad you are ok.

we had a new guy who asked me last summer. what should i do if the mower loses control, and slides off of an embankment?(he usually runs our bobcat zt 200)

my simple answer was to try not to get into that situation period. no need to be a "mowing hero". we have smaller mowers intended for just that purpose.

6. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

The mower must be tough to fall from 4' and have no damage. Sounds like a good commercial.

7. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

I done the same thing. I was coming around a pine tree, went to turn up the hill and the mower lost traction and went down the hill. The only problem was the sea wall that bordered the lake. To make a long story short I wound up in the lake holding the mower from tipping into the lake. Luckly my Dad was there to pull the mower back over. The whole time I was holding the mower I was sinking into the mud, so eventually it would have come past the center of gravity, and I would have been mashed. But, thanks to Dad everything worked out. I now have a new found respect for the machines!