1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Turning a gear drive???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by exmarkrunner, Dec 1, 2002.

1. exmarkrunner

exmarkrunner LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

How do all of you out there turn a gear drive w/b? I traded my hydro in for a new gear drive.
  2. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I am not trying to burn any bridges or sound like a smart ***, but why would you sell a hydro for a gear? please don't take that question the wrong way. But to answer your question i do it 2 ways when i have to use by belt drive. 1. I still do a 3 point turn. the only differnce is you have to pull back on the moer to complete the turn instead of using the reverse on one wheel. The other way is if you are in wide open space and the owner does not care is just to lock the inside wheel. This will leave a small diviot sometime. Anyway good luck and hope this helps.
  3. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I double border, then I use the following technique.
    Break the turn into 2 parts.....
    Turn the machine 90 degrees, then release brake and travel a short distance (less than a foot?) then turn the remaining 90 degrees. I find the double border allows me more room to do this easily. occaisionally, I will feather the "inside" handle to allow me to pull back lightly while the "outside" wheel continues to go forward. takes some practice to get a technique that works best for you.

I ran my gear drive for a long time before I ever ran a hydro.......I much prefer the hydro..... Just my preference though.
  4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why in sam hill's name did u do that?
  5. exmarkrunner

exmarkrunner LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I had two replace BOTH of my hydros twice. I have heard good things about them, but they aren't really for me I guess
    thnx for the reps.
  6. lawn dawg

lawn dawg LawnSite Member

with a Toro T-bar it is really easy, belt or hydro.
  7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Other than my standers and z, all 5 of my wb's are beltdrivefrom 32"-52". The easiest way to turn is to slow the machine down before making the turn, apply the brakes hard enough to disengage the drive, but not apply the brakes. Now the machine should be free to roll, sopull inside handle toward you, ease out on opposite handle, and you should be able to make the turn w/out leaving a mark. Sometimes its a bear on your hands and forearms, but like most married men, that comes naturallly anyway.LOL

8. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

What type of mower were you using and how many hours before you had to replace the hydros? I don't want to end up the same way.:(
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I'd like to know that too!

lawn dawg,

Could you add a little more about the T-Bar?