1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Turning Around With Walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ScagBoy09, Feb 2, 2007.

1. ScagBoy09

ScagBoy09 LawnSite Member

I have a Scag Hydro Walkbehind that I recently went from Ohio to Wisconsin to get. I mowed with it a few times back in the fall but I have had some difficulty turning around and continuing the stripe w/o tearing up the yard. I try my best to keep the inside tire to continue to rotate while turning but it sometimes doesnt work and leaves a "twist" mark if you will. Can someone tell me how you can turn around w/o tearing the grass up, excluding turning around on cement sidewalks or driveways. Thanks Brennan.
  2. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Practice...you just have to mow enough to where you figure things out and what works on one yard compared to another yard. At least thats how I figured it out.
  3. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Find a vacant lot or a open field and practice, practice and practice some more. :usflag:
  4. Snyderserv5060

Snyderserv5060 LawnSite Member

agreed, practice is key... I have people that work for me practice in my own yard (off on the rear when it cant be seen) and on my large field type jobs so they can get comfortable with hydro walkers.
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

When you are going to turn, do an L and then bring the inside tire backwards and keep the outside tire going forward.

So when you take your left to turn, at the end off the turn make the inside tire go in reverse.

Did you understand this??
  6. TGM

TGM LawnSite Senior Member

mine's basically like johns, i keep the outside tire moving and the inside tire makes a 3 point turn. this works really well on any ztr and in my experience hydro dane (though i don't know about a pistol grip. my t bar walk behind isn't so easy since i have to manually pull back on it - walker is my next mower). i drew a quick picture for you to understand.

mower turning.JPG
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Thank you. well done:waving:
  8. surgeon83

surgeon83 LawnSite Member

This is the method my employees and I used. Get a bullrider or some other type of non-pivoting sulky, and you can do that turn while riding! You can turn even in wet areas without divoting.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You could use the racetrack method of going around CW working from the outside to the center, until you learn the machine. Forget the stripping for now.
  10. TGM

TGM LawnSite Senior Member

uh, does scagboy work at a club?:hammerhead: