Turning down jobs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DixieFerris, Apr 24, 2008.

1. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

Every year this happens in the spring, people to lazy to do their own spring cleanups (keeps us busy) but they always wait until it's too late. I have turned down 22 cleanups this week to new customers because they ask for our services too late. I have told all of them next year to be sure to book in March and avoid these problems, and all seem very pleased with this answer and said they will call. How are you guys doing with the overflow?

2. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

complete opposite. it's never too late for us to do work. work = money.

3. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I dont care for doing cleanups but I can bank on them in the spring. Everyone wants it don ASAP and that means price gouging for me!

4. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

i tell them that if they were to sign up for weekly mowing then i could get it done. if no mowing, then i dont have time...sorry.

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

While most complain they're not making enough money and complain about being lowballed, the smarter guys know that certain things happen every year, like clockwork and one of them is getting called at the last minute for cleanups, another good one is getting called the night before the first snow storm. I realize we all have financial commitments, and like to pre book, but these are the opportunities you can capitalize on by asking for double or triple your normal rate. If you get it, you figure it out, if you dont, keep doing what your doing. Figuring out how your going to get something done at double or triple the rate is a nice problem to have, in my opinion.

6. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

We are in the same boat, clean-ups out the ying-yang, but we NEVER turn down a paying customer, if you don't want to do it, price it high and if they bite, its all the better.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You know, it dawned on me today that it sure feels like all we're doing at times is trading customers:
    One Lco's pita is another Lco's gold mine.

I was so short on work I am SUPER glad for late blooming clean ups right now.

8. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I do the same thing. I do not like too much overflow. I really do not want to get overwhelmed this early in spring. If I do I will be pulling my hair out by mid-summer. I only feel like doing so much. I take care of my routine accounts, and I fit the cleanups and extras in if I can. I do not want to get to the point of burn out. Really these people are just too cheap to have their properties kept up like it should be (I realize that area with a lot of snow in winter do not really have a choice...but in the south, that is not a problem). So, I agree with what has already been mentioned....When these people call so late and want it done today or tomorrow (or yesterday) just charge them 2-3 times what you would normally charge. And tell them you will fit it in when you can... If they take the bait, then I will enjoy the job all the way to the bank. Or if I am really busy, I will just turn the work down.

9. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I like that, I may start using that policy.

10. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I do the same thing. I was wondering, how many customers to you convert to mowing? I love it when they tell me that their normal guy doesn't do anything but mow.