turning down people left and right

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, May 16, 2003.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

This past week alone I have had about 13 calls for one time spring clean-ups and/or one time mowing. We just started the policy this year that we only accept spring/fall clean ups and mowing from new customers, not one timers. A lot of people get upset that I can't do it, but hey, I am not going to schedule these one timers in my regulars schedule and make my regular customers suffer.

I want to know how many people do the same in turning down only one timers?
  2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I don't turn down nothing unless I don't have the equip. for the job. Even then I will sub out some stuff if I can make a customer happy while making money. If I am busy busy, I schedule the work, hire plenty of labors to knock it out, hire one guy to help stay caught up with mowing service ( I have a few go to guys) and price the job so the customer will have to turn me down or I get a good payday if I do the work.
  3. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

I got a call tonight from a women I gave a spring cleanup bid to 3 weeks ago. Wants to know when I can do it. I said when I get caught up with my regular mowing customers and already scheduled projects.
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

More $$$$$ will bring me out at my convenience. Other than that, I am busy.
  5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I will take the one timers with the understanding that they come after my regulars. Money is money and if they can wait I'll do it for them. I usually bid them higher than regulars.
  6. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to turn down calls for one time service. They clutter up the schedules that we need to maintain. However, sometimes a new customer begins with a one time job. If I feel that they could eventually become more than a one time customer, and if they fit the schedule well, I try extra hard to make a bigger sale.
  7. The Plant Poet

The Plant Poet LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I look at it this way. Anyone who waits till the last minute to call someone for maintenance does not care about what they have investested in there landscape and is probably not my kind of client. Don't waste my time so, see ya! :blob3:
  8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

The regular weekly client is my gravy, so they do come first. But the one timers are the icing on the cake, so if I have time I'll always jump at one. In tracking revenues for years, I find that 15% of gross revenue is from add ons or one timers, and that is earned in less than 10% of total time worked. And I have forgotten how many one timers have turned into regular full service clients.

I set a list price, with discounting up to 15% for full service clients over two years old. This 85% of list is the real hourly charge I need to make a living. Anyone paying list price is good money; one timers pay list price. In any business, the regular customer gets a better price and/or better service than the one timer.

So you guys who are so set on all or nothing are shooting yourselves in the foot. If I have the time, and they have the money, I won't walk away from $50 for an edging, just because I can't have the mowing, too.
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

when it comes to like fertilization, landscaping maintenance, weed control, pruning, or something besides mowing and clean-ups we will schedule those in. Our landscaping schedule can always take on more work, but when it comes to the mowing aspect, it throws off our week to try to schedule someone in. We schedule our weeks 1 1/2 to 2 weeks in advanced, so when someone is a one timer it can throw the schedule into a frenzy.
  10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I don't fool with one timers.

I'm too busy with my regular clients.