1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Turning Down Work - How Do You Do it?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by OakNut, Aug 19, 2013.

1. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

In general terms better to use larger mowers.

However the best results is when the equipment used is best suited to the job. Also using a 21" when the job is priced right will make a good profit.

What hill?

That's why you only buy 21" self propelled.

Retaining wall?

What retaining wall?

All the people that start with a 21" and load the mower in the trunk of their sedan should be able to get a 21" over a retaining wall.
  2. 32vld

No reason to go nuts. You have a full schedule then you turn down the work. If not then you take it on.

Then you can always take on those that are more profitable and cut your low profit ones.

Or add employee and grow the business.
  3. Locqus

Locqus LawnSite Senior Member
    from Detroit

^^ I personally love the 21'' self propelled mowers. I make sure we have one on each truck. They have gotten us out of a tight spot more than I can count.

^^ Like others have said. We have tossed em over fences, walls, we even carried one over a swamp to cut a lawn on the other side. Can use em on soggy lawns that can't handle the weight of the commercial ones as well. 21'' mowers are necessary no matter how many ZTRs you have!
  4. 32vld

The problem is not $25, or 21" mower, or 1 hour to do it.

It is the combination of those numbers.

Another problem is seeding and fert for free. That is indirect low balling
  5. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Clearly nobody understands the question posed here.

This really has nothing to do with me.

Read the thread title. The word "you" is right there in the question.

6. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

I clearly understood the question, and clearly responded in my response though long. Lol
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

I also understand the question. I figured its obvious. You politely decline the job. Pretty sure that's already been said and examples were given on how to do it.

No, no thank you, I'm not able to do it, it doesn't fit into the way we work, etc... Doesn't get any easier than that.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I've never had this much trouble having a discussion on a forum before.

You obviously don't understand.
    I don't need instructions on how to say "Sorry, but..." LOL

Perhaps I'm not being clear enough, but after explaining it at least four times, I'll just let it go.

I just can't help but think that you guys using big equipment have to get SO FREAKING TIRED of turning down work you can't do because of the equipment you use.
    (look ^ I essentially "explained" it yet again. LOL)
  9. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

I think they just do not live in place that have that many lawns like that
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure why anybody would get so tired of it. You take the job or you don't. Use a 21" in places you need to or don't. Only takes a few minutes to check out an estimate. Not a big deal.
    Posted via Mobile Device