Turning Down Work - How Do You Do it?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by OakNut, Aug 19, 2013.

1. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, all I hear on this forum is that you can use a zero turn mower on ANY lawn. (which is nonsense)

And no, none of it is a "big deal". It was merely an attempt at conversation - trying to pick at the brains of those who have to deal with this issue.

Apparently none of those guys are interested in this. No big deal.

2. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

for a job that takes 10 minutes, i figure i gotta do more, only takes enough material to fill my hands.

3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I have the problem.

I tell them I don't have a mower small enough. Lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. AnotherOkie

AnotherOkie LawnSite Senior Member
    from Newalla

Posted via Mobile Device

5. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Re reading the first post.

If it is a job that is beyond what my business can handle I tell them.

If I can do it and I don't want to I tell them I am too busy.

6. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

$25?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

He said 40 square yards, which if I'm thinking correctly is less than 400 square feet. Easy and quick enough worth of mowing for $25.00, assuming you don't have a minimum stop fee and you can unload your equipment in less than five minutes and load in less than five minutes. Ten minutes of mowing, ten minutes of loading/unloading, for a total of 20 minutes. Average of $75.00 an hour, assuming you have no drive time to this lawn considering it's a lawn being done for $25.00. I have yet to see a lawn that was 400 square feet however.

8. myblacktruck

myblacktruck LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I would love to use the big ztr on everything, but doesn't always work. I had one we push mowed last year until they stopped paying then we stopped mowing. I always bid the one's that take longer for more then if it was a quick ztr lawn, but if I absolutely don't want the lawn I'll tell them that were not gonna work for them or we don't have the right equipment to do the job.

9. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Here's one I do for $25. I think it would be measured in square inches. ;)

Sorry. The photos were taken to show the beds before mulch, so I don't have the whole thing in one shot. That fence is about knee-height by the way.

I have it noted in my book that it takes 10-12 minutes - not just to mow - that is from the time I turn off the truck, to the time I put the key back in the ignition. I spend that much time at red lights as I drive across town and I don't get any money for THAT time. :D

This isn't typical of the jobs I do though - it's the smallest one.
    I know I sure as heck wouldn't pay someone $25 to mow that patch of grass! LOL

Left side of "lawn".
    [​IMG]

Right side of "lawn". (that's it - there's nothing in the back - just a concrete pad)
    [​IMG]

I'm going to try and talk him into letting me remove the fence so I can use a ZTR on it!!! :p

10. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

By doing all that free work he increased his costs for doing that mow.

Better to up sell seeding. Grass or weeds. They grow every week.