Turning Down Work - How Do You Do it?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by OakNut, Aug 19, 2013.

1. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Wow... that's tiny. I'd use scissors and charge by the minute, hahaha. It would literally take longer to get the mower off the truck and start it than to mow it.

2. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

Increase it by what. $15 per year?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. birddseedd

Small lawns is where the money is at. 6 of those an hour. 25 each.

600 a month. 1hr a week
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Locqus

Locqus LawnSite Senior Member
    from Detroit

If you can get the smaller ones in bunches then yea it is great. I like the mid ranged lawns, not too big, not too small....just right as goldilocks would say. Wide open. Tingly.

5. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

birdseed you sound like you got everything pretty well figured out. have you picked up those 15 more yards you need? you sound very seasoned

6. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

We've got a few developments between 4 to 6 in a row clumps. They are nice...

7. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Reseeding a 1/4 acre lawn goes for more then $15.

I can not buy enough seed for a 1/4 acre property for $15.

8. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

Its very very simple, and DOES NOT require over thinking.

Tell them that after looking at their yard it does not appear to be a fit with your business's abilities. I'm sorry we can't do business.
    Thats it.

Sure it might cost you a recommendation down the road, but seriously birds of a feather do flock together.
    Do you really want them recommending you to one of their crap yard owning friends???

I google image and/or satellite view nearly every new property I get called on before going to do a site visit.
    I've got a good idea of what I'm getting into before arrival.

9. birddseedd

Well said
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

I've got a good friend that will go on for paragraphs as to why he can't do this or that or for why he is dropping a customer.

DO NOT waste the time over thinking it.
    Either tell them in very brief terms that you are unable to take on or unable to continue to service their property. Or send them a brief note.
    Preferably give them as much notice as you can, but circumstances can be such where you tell them that this is my last visit to your property, have a nice life.

Do not waste the mental energy and the time it takes to over think some of these things.
    Building your business can far more profitably use that time and energy spent.