1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Turning hitch over

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grassmasterswilson, Apr 25, 2013.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I've got a 2wd 1500 Chevy tht rides a little low in the back with the trailer.

I have the standard hitch with 1-2" drop(it drops a little and doest come straighr out). Is it ok to flip the hitch over? Our weight is low with 1 ztr on a dual axle trailer.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Yes perfectly fine
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Changing or turning over the draw bar will do nothing.

The truck will still sit just as low because nothing was done to increase the truck's suspension strength or decrease the trailer's weight.

Now if you concern is that the trailer does not sit level then that is not what you originally wrote.

Turning over the draw bar or changing it for one with a different drop will change the tilt of the trailer.

Level trailer is best. Though better to have the trailer tilt down at the front then up at the front when perfect level can not be achieved.

Tilting down on the front will be more tongue weight which helps prevent the trailer from swaying.

So turn the draw bar over as long as the trailer is level to slightly down in the front.

You may need to change your draw bar to one that has a different drop/lift to the one that you are now using to get the trailer to sit the right way.
  4. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Thanks. I was referring to the trailer more than anything. I know a 2wd truck will sag some and new rear springs may help in the future.

I turned the hitch over and it allowed the tongue height to be a little higher which solved the problem.
  5. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

watch out on a trailer with ramp gate doing this, dropping the front of the trailer effectively makes the ramp steeper, and if you aren't paying attention it can be enough to cause you to smack a spindle on the trailer or hit the deck. just be careful your first time loading up!
  6. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

I done the same thing with a 4" drop. Just took the ball off and mounted it on the other side and flipped the hitch. Our gate angle was too steep causing anti-scalping rollers to get hung and bent. Flipping the hitch dropped the back of the trailer and fixed it.