Turning in scrubs?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 1stclasslawns, Jan 2, 2003.

?

Would you turn in another LCO who is appling chemical without a license?

1. No, live and let live.

23 vote(s)
    46.0%
  2. Yes, I am licensed they should be too.

27 vote(s)
    54.0%
  1. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

As most of us that use this board either are or will soon be licensed. I am wondering about if you would or would not turn in a person who is not licensed in your area if you saw them applying herbicides?

I will put this in form of a poll so you may remain annomious.

Jim

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

How would you know if they are licensed or not?

I certainly wouldn't take someone elses word on it and would want 100% proof for my own eyes to believe. You'd look pretty dumb if you turned someone in and it turned out they had a license.

Depends on what they are applying anyways. Straight fert. in WI doesn't need a license.

Lastly, I've got better things to do. If they are applying wthout a license that's BS,but I have other things to worry about than patroling for a pesticide license.

Also, I'd lay odds that 30% of the people on here that say they are licensed probably aren't. Maybe proof should be shown here also.

My vote is I don't care. Dishonest people will eventually get what they deserve, I hope.

:)

3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I don't bother them, if they don't bother me. If they are working on a property I work at and are not certified.. I will go so far as to inform the client, and possibly have words with the applicator.... other than that... live and let live.

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

If they are liscensed, at least in CT, they need to have their lic. number on their trucks.

5. longslawn

longslawn LawnSite Member

Its the states job to enforce the laws not mine. If they(LCO) don't care enough to be certified, soon or later it will catch up with them. I know that most of the people I see spraying herbicides are not licensed to do so. In NC you can look it up on the internet and see who is and isn't licensed.
    I wouldn't feel right turning them in unless I saw something being done the could cause serious damage to either the public or the enviroment.
    I have enough to worry about than if someone has the proper license or not.

6. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

In Arkansas you must have company name on the side of your truck. Also as far as I have found out (and I have checked) I am the only LCO with a license, there is a couple PCOs and a landscaper, but no other LCOS.

About 85% of "lawn boys" have a sprayer in the back of their rigs. While talking to the head of the pest control section of the plant board his words were "how do we know who is spraying if we don't get a complant". With the closest inspecter over an hour away he can't very well watch the highway.

In my advertising I am going to mention that if the person you have hired to mow your lawn dosn't have a commercial license he is breaking the law, and the owner can be held liable.

I am not a snitch but a couple of the guys that have done some spraying have killed some lawns and I have had negitive comments directed tward me, such as "I wont have nobody spray and kill my yard like old so&so did to such&suches".

The uneducated don't follow directions and it gives me a bad wrap befor I get started. In this small town word gets around and negitives always talk louder then anything else.

Jim

7. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

You may want to turn in scrubs if:

1. You never, ever made an app. before you got your license
    2. Your sprayer never ever leaks
    3. You always triple rinse
    4. You calibrate every day
    5. Your records are always perfect and up to date
    6. You always use proper ppe
    7. You are always exactly on label

OR

You could "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

8. BBALLTURF

BBALLTURF LawnSite Member

RUSS, THANT IS AN INTERESTING WHY OF LOOKING AT IT BUT IF WE DONT CONTROL WHAT HAPPEN IN THE GREEN INDUSTRY, THE TREE HUGGERS ARE GOING TO MAKE OUR LIFE VERY HARD, TURNING SOMEBODY IN MYBE NOT BUT TO HELP THEM IS A MUST. AT THE RATE LOCAL AND FED. GOVERMENT GOING, WE MIGHT HAVE TO POST THE WHOLE BLOCK JUST TO SPRAY R-UP. THINK ABOUT IT!!!!

9. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

If our goal is to improve the industry by action, one may wish to consider joining and becoming active in their own State Lawn Care As. and, or, Turf Foundation. These groups can do far more to educate our lawmakers and the public than most of us know.
    The most serious threat we face, in my opinion, is government regulation, not outlaw unlicensed applicatior. Less than 10% of the lawns in Indiana are maintened by persons other than the homeowner. That leaves plenty of room for growth without dragging the industry down.

I have a drivers license, but I don't turn in unlicensed drivers
    I don't speed, but I dont turn in speeders
    My dog has a license, but I dont turn in unlicensed dogs
    My trucks have license plates, but I don't turn in people without them

Do you guys? Whats the difference?

Those who chose to operate without a license do so at their own risk. It's all I can do to mind my own business-----I'm not about to try to mind someone elses

10. dhicks

dhicks Member

I asked my Maryland Dept. of Agriculture inspector about this and this is what he told me: by the time it's reported, and the time they can send an inspector out to take photos of the unlicensed applicators, they are usually done with the job and are gone.

Unless THEY can witness the unlicensed applicator and have photos there's nothing that can be done. Of course, if there is enough complaints they can send an inspector to follow these dudes around and wait for them to mess-up. But like most state agencies, they are under funded and under staffed.

In MD they catch about 65 cases per year and those that are caught are referred to the State Attorney General (AG) for prosecution. Even if you are licensed, any infraction that is Witnessed is reported to the AG.