Turning on grass or side walk/drive way? Which is best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sedge, Aug 11, 2007.

1. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

In my brothers business we are using wright standers this year and as usual I'm being a dumb azz for not agreeing with my brother. Here is the problem or question. If you guys could give me your opinions I would surely appreciate it.

Bermuda grass, 70% lawns irrigated, 30% not.

The turn we would be using to turn on the grass is when you get the end of your run, you turn slightly right, then back up to your right while turning to point on the next area to be mowed, while directing the discharge onto the grass all the while. Kinda like a upside down bell or "V".

Or is it better to make your run to the side walk/drive way so it looks more uniform with the lines running to each location off the end of the grass? Of course most of the time, 2 of the turns would be on the grass any ways.

I don't want to say what my thoughts are, but what are the advantages or disadvantages of doing it either way?

Does it matter if some of the yards are irrigated or some are not? It is dry here right now.

Some yards (grass area) are a fair amount higher the the surrounding concrete.

thanx!

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I think I understand what you are saying. The line you use as your guide & first stripe? If that's the case, it depends on what looks the best to oncoming traffic & will get the most notice from on-lookers.

3. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

The direction of the cut doesn't matter really as that gets changed every week so as not to rut the yard, as long as the grass area is not to narrow. What i was saying about the lines is, if you turn on the grass you don't have a cut line coming out to the concrete, because you turned on the grass. Maybe you make 2 passes around the yard first or last, that doesn't really matter. If you turn on the concrete, then your lines come all the way out.

Are there reasons to not turn on the concrete or the grass? Where do you guys make your turns and why?

Thanx again

4. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I try to turn on concrete whenever possible to only to be as gentle as possible to the grass.

5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Its always more stressful for the turf to turn on it. The standers have a lot of torque & inexperienced operators don't slow down enough to properly initiate a turn & tear up lawns that way. However if a client has new concrete or newer concrete pavers, they'll complain about the black tire marks on their hard surfaces. I guess it all depends on the situation. IMHO, I always would prefer to turn on a hardscape, but if the client has new crete or pavers... fugedaboudit.

6. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

I prefer it if we turn on the grass so that it doesn't mess up the sidewalk with green soup if you know what I mean. I tell my workers to turn on the grass and then give it a double frame to cover the little bit that doesn't get cut perfectly when you turn on the grass. As well, when you enter and exit a lawn alot you are more likely to scape the edge if you are not careful. You also have to be careful though turning on the lawn with bigger mowers, you can easily scape that way as well.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

First off...with bermuda and Stander you can mulch so you can cover the outlet. Then simply go clockwise starting on the outside....fastest way to cut a lawn and less tear until you get to middle.

8. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I test drove a Stander and was impressed by how ez it was to turn and not tear up turf because it was ez to keep the tires rolling while turning.

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

If you have ever cut a football field, soccer, or baseball.

you would know that you NEVER, NEVER, NEVER turn on the field.

nor do you get off your stripe, even if your NOT lined up correctly,

10. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

do not turn on concret it leaves tire marks wears down the tires turn on the turf pay attention it is not that hard to not tear turf. football field is diff than a home lawn each application is different I get pizzed when my guys turn and leave marks on ppls concrete