1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Turning on Sprinkler System

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by MeadowRun, Mar 12, 2008.

1. MeadowRun

MeadowRun LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I am giving a restraunt an estimate on lawn, trimming shrubs, and turning the sprinkler system on in the spring and shutting it off in the fall. What exactly does turning a sprinkler system on entail? And how do I go about giving them a price on this? By the way its at a friendlys restaurant. I saw 5 visible sprinkler heads behind shrubs sticking up about 1 ft with the pvc line then a 10-12 inch sprinkler head threaded into the line.. No other visible heads but i will inspect more.. How do i go about estimating this task?

2. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

If you are not experienced in this call an irrigation only company and sub it out to them it will be cheap and you wont look like a fool trying to start up and or shut down . See if you can meet the guy there and wach him do it so you can do it there after
  3. eagle irrigation

eagle irrigation LawnSite Member

I would never work on a system at a restauraunt that did not sell beer.
  4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

You'd need a compressor of significant size to blow out the system in the fall, so if this was the only one you were doing, may be very worth subbing out the work to another company, as stated above.

Startup could be simple or complicated, depending on how the system was treated during the winter.

Again, as stated above, sub it out first year and see if you want to take it on in the following years.
  5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

are you licensed for sprinkler repair?
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Not all states require licensing. I don't believe Penn. is one that requires it. We don't here in Colo.
  7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Actualy, unfourtunatly very few do.
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Honestly, there are way too many variables between each system to be able to tell you how to do this. It has taken many of us years and years to get to the stage we're at, where we can figure it all out. And then we still get stumped by some oddball installs.

Examples - where is the water source turn on? Inside or outside? Ball valve, gate valve, stop and waste valve? What kind of backflow preventer? PVB, RP, DCV, AVBs? Do they meet code? What kind of controller? Is there a controller or manual valves? Where are the valves and what kind and how many? Are there mainline drains? are they open? Is there a master valve? and on and on and on and on. And a lot of us don't always like to give free advice that we've learned over years of hard work and busting our knuckles or beating our brains to learn.

As others have said, probably easiest to sub out, and maybe watch and learn. if you want to get into the service end of it, start small by replacing a broken sprinkler head. Or start by learning how a system is installed and operates. Not trying to bust your balls here, just letting you know it's not as easy as a lot of people think.
  9. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Look for Dana's new book titled, The Super Top Secret Sprinkler Tech. :drinkup:
  10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I've thought about. Many times.