1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Turning radius has diminished what can I do?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mike62, Apr 28, 2005.

1. mike62

mike62 LawnSite Member

I have an MTD 12.5 HP mower that has been working fine but last season it got to where it would not turn to the left as sharply as it should and as compared to the right. Everything is tight and the arm that controls turning the wheels has not readjusted. What causes this and is there anything I can do to fix it? Thank you.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Hey mike62, Take a close look at your front spindles. They have a turn stop
    on them, make sure one isn't bent. If you happen to be turning and hit something with the tire it could bend these stops and cause your problem.
  3. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Also, check wheel bushings and wheel spindle bushings. Also, check the steering gear, perhaps you have some foreign object jammed in it, or it is starting to rust up.
  4. mike62

mike62 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I have looked it over pretty good but not seen anything that appears out of the norm or bent but I will check it over again. I had an older fella who works on them said that is not an uncommon problem for those MTD's.
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Yes that is a common problem on those MTDs .....I never had a customer request me to check theirs out .....With 15 or so units waiting for repairs I never took the time to find out exactly what causes that. But you can bet your bottom dollar I'll check the next one that comes in,Just for the heck of it.
    If you happen to find the problem let us know !
  6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

With out knowing the model so I can look up the IPL for it, it is hard to tell for sure. Try this, with the engine OFF get some one to turn the steering wheel slowly from side to side while you look very closely at all the steering linkage. You have one or more that is worn out or loose. The most common one to come lose it the short link on the right side where the drag link hooks up. The bolt will come lose and the arm will slip on the shaft.