Turning regular truck bed into Dump bed.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by RedWingsDet, Jun 26, 2005.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

has anyone ever done this? I remember seeing something like this on here a while ago but I couldnt find the thread? but it seems like the hardest part would be keeping the bed straight when making it go up...

seems like all you would have to do is take off the bed, do some prep work, make all the wires longer, do some fine tuning to the gas filler neck, build a frame for the bed to sit on, and install some hydrualics. or is it harder then this? has anyone seen this done before or has anyone actually done this... Im just curious, I dont think I would do this, due to the fact that next year im getting another truck to add to the fleet that will have a dump bed, but just wondering if it can be done, and if so, how?

2. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Check northern tool I think they have a kit for a pick-up bed for like 800. I have thought about it for when I load the bed with grass when mowing not that heavy but not lit either. I might just go with the load handler and save $700

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

You are better off at getting a dump insert. Instead of the hidden dump kits. The kits don't give the bed any support when the bed is raised. So the bed will twist.

4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

ya I figured that about the bed twisting, thus, if there were some kind of counter weight on the sides closest to the cab, wouldnt that solve the problem... or perhaps use to hydros at two ends and hopefully be able to sycronize them somehow

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

By the time it takes you to figure out how to built it. Then have several design changes, etc. You will have more and time in it, than what you could have bought one. Sometimes its easier to buy a ready built item. You could spend 40 hours designing and building the dump kit. Or you couls spend 40 hours working on something you know how to do to pay for it. Just something to think about. Because I have been there and done that several times. Could have done work to pay for something. Instead of building it myself and still come out ahead.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Get a dump insert or a dump body on the truck the regular P/U bed is junk not designed to dump those kits that make them dump is junk. The strongest and lightest idea is put a dump body on the truck. The insert works you do still have the added weight of the P/U box 500lbs plus the slip in unit.

7. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen guys make the stock bed into a dump.

1) the bed will always sit at least 1" higher making the body line wierd
    2) You Need a ned liner and stuff still hangs beside the wheel wells
    3) The twisting will cause cracks where the wheel openings are.

I have a six wheel dump that has the same out sid to outside wheel distance as a SRW pickup. My local truck body builder makes a bed just for converting SRW one tons into dumps. I bought one because my truck is narrow.

The bed is 8' long, 84" wide and has drop down sides. The sides are 12" high instead of the usuall 18". This saves some weight and if you want even lighter you can have aluminium sides and an aluminium gate.

I bought the small bed because my six wheeler is a crewcab and I don't have huge weight capacity but needed a dump.

8. StealthDT

StealthDT LawnSite Member

I'm not a paying sponsor here, so I guess answering posts containing misinformation is against the rules. So be it, delete away, I don't need to waste my time, have a happy holiday.

9. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

Why not become a paying sponsor if you believe in your product so much?

10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Spill it man, some of us would like to hear what ya have to say.......