1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

turning rough with exmark lazer z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Billz, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

I have been using my new 60" exmark lazer z for 2 days now, and it seems like I am doing damage to even my best lawns, I am turning slowly, but it still leaves a little mark at most turns... is there a better way to do it than the zero turn method? I usually slow down and push forward with 1 side and either leave the other side in nuetral, or pull back slightly....is this the correct way? Is there a break-in period for the mower to be less 'rough'?

I noticed after mowing today that the tires had 24 pounds of pressure in them, not the 13 pounds recommended! maybe that will help...I hope. It is an expensive trailer decoration when I am doing my residential accounts now! :-(
  2. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

Well, proper tire inflation is critical to ride performance as well as having a great effect upon the turf, especially when turning.

Most pros use the "Y" method when mowing to avoid the ripping of the sod you may do with the zero turn/pivot method. Kind of hard to describe but if you imagine it sort of like pulling out of the stripe to the one side, backing up in a semi-hard turn (but it won't be nearly as sharp as a zero turn) to align yourself with the uncut grass, and then moving forward once more into the uncut grass - that is how I do it.

Give it a try - it's quick and easy and far less damaging than trying to spin on one wheel.
  3. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

practice, and keep both wheels turning,slow speed
  4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

For get zero turns with the mower unless you’re on pavement. You need to be doing a 3-point turn on grass. When you come to the end of the line slow down when you get to your last 10 feet or so pull to the left or the right depending on what side your next pass is. Then what you must do is back up do this and turn as you do in other words go slightly faster with one side the side you wish to be making the next pass with. Now after you have backed up the mower length or so slow to a stop then proceed forward completing your turn and starting your next pass.

It’s real easy once you master it and it all but eliminates turn marks which is an amateur mistake that most guys who have trained on WBs do when they first get on a ZTR. Think about it your tires are now a foot wide of course they rip when you spin on a yard.
  5. Stripe This

Stripe This LawnSite Member

These guys nailed it on the head...zero turns only on driveways, sidewalks, etc. You'll get the hang of it, just be patient.
  6. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i try to keep my mowers off the driveways because concrete my tires mark up and it doesnt look good does this happen to anyone else
  7. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

This works for me. It's not an absolute zero turn...but it's close.

At the end of the row, I go past the line where I am going to start on the next past. Come to almost a complete stop, pullBACk on the stick (direction of turn) slightly and then push forward the other stick to push the mowe around. That way, your pivot point (inside wheel) is rolling, not just pivoting. Complete the turn and you're off and running.

slow down
    pull back on inside slightly
    push forward out to complet the turn
    push bth forward to complete
  8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

is this a trick question?

GEO :confused: