1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

turning up rpms

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by contra, May 26, 2003.

1. contra

contra LawnSite Member

my dealer wont turn up my rpms for meon my kawasaki 14 hp engine. can any of you tell me how to do this or provide a link? do i need any special tools? thanks
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Just look at the bracket where the throttle cable attaches to the engine. You will see 2 bolts securing the bracket to the engine block. Just loosen the 2 bolts and move the bracket back and forth until you achieve the desired RPM. It's a 1 minute job.
  3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

But don't tamper with the governor.

I had a John Deere with the 14 HP Kawasaki FC420V.

I turned it up a little and it would scream under little or no load, but it still was gutless in taller grass and there was no advantage to increasing the RPM's.

My advice is DON'T DO IT unless you have a tach. Don't exceed 3800 RPM's.

4. contra

contra LawnSite Member

thanks, where do you get a tachometer though?
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

do a search for "tiny tach"....gives the rpm and also an hour meter for around $40

6. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

for a tach look here www.sendec.com.I also wouldnt turn it up over 3600 rpm if itsw the single cycliner fc 420v 14 hp kawi.The vtwins are alright at 3750 to 3800 rpms but i dont think id turn that single cyclinder up over 3600.
  7. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

If your motor is tired or warn out,i might increase the rpm's knowing i am going to have to replace it in the near future. I would NEVER do this on a new or good running motor though as the motor will wear out sooner.
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

the max rpm can give higher blade tip speed,which in normal weekly cutting,can speed things up.
    in heavy cut, my kohler doesnt seem to be any stronger tho, at 3800 than 3600.
  9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

In our garden tractor pulling we turn the RPM's up to class limit. My class (stock 12hp, which get 14-15hp when modified to class rules) we are allowed 4,000 RPM. The higher classes are allowed much more, many times unlimited (because they have special parts made for high performance) and you know we would not turn up the RPM if it did not help. We don't do it for more ground speed as we are not racing on time and thats just harder on the machines (plus we have different gears not hydros). So yes it should help...