Turning with a snapper belt drive WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Diddy, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Diddy

Diddy LawnSite Member

hey guys i was wondering what the best way is to turn with a belt driven snapper walk behind. do i just squeeze the brake hard and turn or do a 3 point turn. and is using a sulkey on a walk behind that bad to do? thanks i appreciate it

2. cvcook

cvcook LawnSite Member

Have you not driven one before? make a wide turn, locking up the inside tire will cause turf damage due to the tire scrubbing. yes a sulky is the way to go.....much faster!

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

You have race track or make loops. Belt drives were not meant to be ZTR's. If you pivot you will tear turf. Going forward as much as possible is most efficient. I'm guessing your new to larger mowers?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Diddy

Diddy LawnSite Member

yes im new to the larger mower. i mainly use 21 and i have used a kubota ztr but i am new to the walk behind world

5. Patriot Services

You'll figure out quick that reverse is useless too. As well as when the belts get wet. Belt dressing helps somewhat but it still sucks in rain or heavy dew.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. douglee25

douglee25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

On a belt drive WB, while squeezing the levers, you will find that there is a postion where the belt is disengaged and the brake is not applied... almost a 'neutral like' position. What I've perfected over the years is that when you come to the end of a row, squeeze the inside lever just enough to freewheel that side of the mower. Let the outside wheel continue to move and the turn will initiate. While the turn is going, I ever so slightly pull back on the mower (you probably couldn't even tell if you watched me) in order to line up the next row perfectly. This avoids the slightly 'turned strip' that you will see from many amateurs. I pride myself on straight lines. Now if you're on a velke and you're hauling ass down the path, you really need to brake hard on the inside wheel to get the mower to turn. Typically you may get a little turf damage, but I try to mitigate this by putting my weight on the inside bar while I turn. This allows me to use slightly less brake while completing the turn quickly and as straight as possible.

Doug

7. Diddy

Diddy LawnSite Member

where do i get belt dressing, and what is it?

8. Diddy

Diddy LawnSite Member

do you lean your weight to the side that your turning into. like if your turning right you lean hard into the right side?

9. Patriot Services

Auto parts store in a spray can. It softens the glaze that all belts get and allows them to grip better. It also helps repel water.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Diddy

Diddy LawnSite Member

is there a specific brand or type that i should get?