Turning with a zt

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by lawnkid, Jan 6, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys I got a Scag zt 52" walkbehind with velkie and when i bought it used the guy told me how to turn without scalping the lawns. (3-point turn) But I realized that I am wasting alot of my time turning, stopping, backing up, and then going again. Is there any kind of turn you guys could tell me that could save time on plots of land about 3/4 acre big. I you could I'd appreciate it.

Daniel Zudic

2. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

It takes time some people get with seconds,some it may take a day of mowing.You shouldn't be stopping or backing up at all.(Takes practice) The way to do it is make 2 laps around the property, slow down coming into a turn,start applying pressure on the side you want to turn, then just take it around.Make sure yours lines are straight to begin with.You can make a turn without damage to the grass with practice it's not too hard.:blob1:

3. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

O.k i'll try that in the spring. Thanks for the advice.

:blob3:

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

w/b shouldn't be causing you much trouble. Practice keeping the inside tire slightly turning. The 3pt turn works best for 1000# Z's. W/b's don't have near that much weight or size of tire.