turning without leaving corkscrews (tearing the grass)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danmc, May 2, 2004.

1. danmc

danmc LawnSite Member

Hi,
    I'm fairly new at using commercial equipment and would like some pointers. At work I mostly use an exmark Turf Tracer HP, 52" 17hp Kaw. I am finally able to so straight lines (it has a velkie) but am still having problems turning at the end of my row to start a new one. If I try to turn completely on a dime then I tear the grass, If I make wider turns then the grass doesn't tear but I am leaving uncut patches. I find myself making half a turn, backing up and completing my turn which is highly inefficient. Any pointers?

Thanks!

2. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Thats the same way I do it, you can never pivot steer because all your gonna do is rip up the grass. I posted a question like this about a week a go and I got the same answer. I mow back and forth then make a pass at each end to get all the stuff i miss turning. Some guys said lower my tire pressure but I dont think it will make a big difference.

3. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

The best thing to do is cut in the yard do two swipes around the perimeter of the yard and then come in and stripe so what you want to do is do a wide turn at the end and then come back for the next stripe. Just know that you cant stop the wheels from turning so if your pushing one lever forward then pull one backslowly!

4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I've found using an exmark lazer that if i jockey the steering so when i'm turning I have the pivoting tire go in reverse it doesn't rip it up.

5. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

kc2006 said it. Make the pivoting tire go in reverse.

6. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Slow down a bit going into the turn as well. If you try and do it at full speed you will skid and rip. (I would hate to ever hear someone say that and underwear in the same sentence.:( )
    You should only have to do one perimeter run at the very end as well. This will hit all of the little areas you missed and help to hide your turning wheel marks. I am not sure, but i think when i had my velke i had some problems with this too. Try just turning alot on your own lawn first. Just keep one wheel turning forward, and put the other into FULL reverse. You will figure it out.:D

7. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

Yeah, if you are leaving your outside tire turning and pulling the inside tire to a stop, it will tear it up bad. I use a ZTR and a WB and I always stop and then start turning with one tire forward and the other in reverse. Otherwise, you can make a right turn as your stopping, then back up to the left. This will put you in line for your next pass.

8. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

Cut 2 or 3 passes on the areas you need to turn on and you wont miss the grass as you turn. it works for me.

9. danmc

danmc LawnSite Member

Thanks for the pointers. I'll have to find a few places to practice tomorrow....