Turning your mower off at full throttle?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Liendeni, May 20, 2008.

1. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Is this a good idea? Reason I ask is because I have an almost new (less than 50 hours) ZTR and it keeps backfiring when I shut it down...even if I let it run idle while I clean up and double check everything. Talked to my local dealer/service provider...and the guy running the show over there told me shut it down at full throttle?

Sounded weird but thought I'd give it a try. My question is....is this the right way to shut your mower down. Obviously the PTO switch has been turned to off but still....full throttle?

2. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

On my stuff I always let the mower Idle for a good 30 seconds then turn it off. I have never had a problem with the kawasaki on my great dane back firing but the two briggs and strattons on my walkbehinds are always backfiring unless I let them idle. I talked to my dealer and he said there nothing that can be done about it that briggs made some full solenoid that was supposed to stop the backfiring. He said that it doesn't really matter if it backfires that it doesn't hurt the engine.

3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Remember that air cooled engines actually heat up a bit at idle and this may be a cause for the back firing. Unburnt fuel is ignited from the heat in the cylinder which can cause the back firing.
    The idea behind shutting a motor off at full throttle is the unburnt fuel is dumped into the cylinder actually cooling it down somewhat.
    In the cooler winter months when my crews are mowing the engines are idled a bit before shut down. However, now that sustained temps are in the upper nineties, the mower motors are shut off at 2/3rds or full throttle and no back firing occurs.

4. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the same problem with half throtle. I shut them down at full throtle so they wont backfire

5. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

That's pretty interesting!! makes since.

But I have always heard that you should let you mower idle for a minute or two if all possible before shutting off.

I always find myself doing it both ways.

6. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

i always let my mowers idle for a short period before turning them off.

7. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Okay, thanks guys....I just wanted to make sure it wasn't me doing something wrong. Appreciate the input.

8. mowtivated lawn Care

mowtivated lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

My Hustler 2007 Super Z with Koeler Command will back fire at half trottle but at full it never does. I have not tried the thirty seconds at half yet but at least will run for ten seconds before shutting down.

9. kenny s

kenny s LawnSite Member

I have a question for any of you. I am looking into an overseeder/split seeder. I would like to get one to help thicken up the lawns on many of my accounts. I looked at the Lawn Solutions site on this site and was very impressed with their "Lawn Revitilizer, 9 hp), and what it does. I am from northern New Jersey and we have Ryan and Lesco dealers here, but the price for the Ryan Overseeder is over $5000.00!!!! This is was more than I can spend for this piece of equipment. Does anyone know anything about the Lawn Solutions Revitilizer or have used one, if so what did yo think? There is also another site within this site called Turfco Direct that sells overseeders. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Kenny s