turns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by recliner5, Oct 2, 2002.

1. recliner5

recliner5 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Just got ztr, its going to take some time getting use to, right now I'm tearing up grass when I'm turning around, what am I doing wrong? Thanks Terp

2. Firefighter Dave

Firefighter Dave LawnSite Member

Recliner...

Do a search, I know they talked about this not to long ago. You need to make a three point turn.... when you find by search about this question, someone had a great color diagram about doing turns to prevent this.

Dave

:blob2: :blob2:

3. recliner5

from Indiana

Thanks, I never had heard of 3 point turn

4. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

The tears are from the inside tire staying stationary while the machine is pivoting around to do the 180 degree turn.. Even stationary for a small part of the turn is enough to squash the grass and tear it out, especially with the dirt being wet and the ground "softer" due to all the dew in the morning.

I don't have a ZTR myself, but I know you are better off doing your turns using a "?"type of turn, where at the end of the run you swing out wide to one side, drive in a circle and then go back down the straight line next to the one you cut..... and if you cut each line and each turn around like ?????? then you would have even "u-turns" and all the grass would be cut, plus you probably circle the outside of the property a time or 2 for a cleanup pass anyway...

Gary

5. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

Recliner-
    Make sure that both wheels are moving at all times. Like doogieh said, if a wheel is stationary during the turn for just a second it will twist or tear the turf. I've heard it referred to as a "k" turn, "y" turn, and three point turn.
    I believe it was kirbyslawn that had the diagram. It's an excellent demonstration on how to perform it.
    A little practice and you will get it down....it took me a while.

6. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I've had guys tear complete plugs out of the ground with my Z. I would almost have a heart attack because the first thing I would tell them is you have to keep the inside wheel moving. But No! They yank back on the inside bar like their lives depended on it. Its really simple you will have it down in no time.

Brandon Shaw
    Evergreen Landscaping Concepts

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Are you guys saying that you can't do a zero turn with a zero turn mower? Then what good are they? Might as well have a tractor or WB. Or is this just for inexperienced riders?

Darryl

8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Actually, doing "zero-turns" comes with a little practice.

The best that I can describe it is that once you are at the end of your run you turn slightly (towards the direction of your next pass) to get lined up and come to a stop. Then you pull one stick back and the other forward SIMULTANEOUSLY to make the actual turnaround.

The trick is to use equal force on the sticks so that the wheels turn in opposite directions AT THE SAME TIME....so that one wheel is NOT stopped while the other is moving. Both wheels must start moving at the same time to avoid creating a divot.

This is a 'fluid' motion that requires a bit of practice.

After 850 hours on my Lazer I can do it in my sleep.

I hope this makes sense.

To be honest though, when the ground is wet I still sometimes revert to the trusty "K" turn. Better safe than sorry. :)

9. recliner5

from Indiana

I will just keep trying to keep both wheels moving when turning, thanks alot for everyones advise. I come to the experts for knowledge. Thankyou

10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Patience Luke, use the force. :D

No seriously, slow down, and always make sure both wheels are turning at all times. Zero turns can be made, just both wheels need to be turning in the opposite direction.

Scott