Turtleturf

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hosejockey2002, May 3, 2003.

1. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone have any experience or heard of Turtleturf? I have a client that is interested in having it installed. According to their website, it's a deep green turf that grows well in either sun or shade and requires only 1/2" of water per week. It also says that the turf in non-invasive so it doesn't sound like zoysia. They don't really give any info on what type of grass it actually is. If anyone has maintained on installed this grass I'd like to hear your experience with it. Thanks.

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

hosejockey- have you found out any more info on this grass? I would also be interested.

3. hosejockey2002

No, the only info I've seen is from the company's website, which I take with a grain of salt. They say it's grown in the Willamette Valley, so it should grow up here in Washington. However, there are no local distributors according to the website. I am really hesitant to install this stuff for a client without having seen it or a least talking to someone who knows about it. Tomorrow I'm going to call a few of the local hydroseeders to see if they know anything about it.

4. hosejockey2002

Barleymut- I just found a little more info. TurtleTurf in a derivative of prairie June grass. It is supposed to grow well in poor soils with little or no fertilizer. It establishes a deep root structure and requires little water. However, it supposedly is very expensive, slow growing and intolerant of traffic. If my client decides they want it, I'll let you know how it well, grows.

5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks HoseJockey, if it is intolerant to traffic then it really isn't an option for most of my lawns. I'm always trying to find that perfect variety. I can't wait till the Roundup resistant fescues become available.