TV advertising

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by throopguy21, Feb 1, 2013.

1. throopguy21

throopguy21 LawnSite Member

i have a meeting with the advertising director for the local abc channel and was wondering what sort of success you guys have had with tv advertising? It pretty expensive but living in a large city like i do, i think i'll get quite a few calls. My ad is pretty good too. Has anybody used it?

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Man that is great how much are you paying for that commercial.is it going to run on prime time:waving:

3. throopguy21

i'm going to buy a slot during primetime yea. i'm thinkin maybe $3500 for a 4 week run playing 6-8 times a night. im not totally sure yet tho.

4. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

If you're not prepared for what potentially could be a major onslaught of calls then this could do more harm than good.

If you have a good phone system, lots of crews, etc....go for it. Rock on.

If you're just a small operation for now I'm just not seeing it.

5. throopguy21

Yeah i have one truck for now but i have the capital to pick up another rig and i have available guys. With that being the case should i still hold off? I may just stick to radio and direct mailing and door to door action for now.

6. CreativeLawncareSolutions

I'd just be worried about pissing people off. There are a lot of threads on here about growing too quickly and the pitfalls that come with that.

What if you signed up 200 new accounts and picked up 100 odd mulching/landscape jobs from the ad campaign? At first glance you'd be like "Hell yeah! I'm rich!"

Then you have to do the work....uh oh

7. throopguy21

yeah that could result in a shitload of calls and as a result i might have to say no to a lot of people. but like i said i do have the capital for another rig. i see what you're saying and i'll take that into account, i'm getting back into this after working for the man for about a year. prior to that i ran my company successfully for most of high school and a few years after that so i do have the skill and the network of past employees.

But again do you think i should get the foundation of the company established before i grow explosively like that? I'm thinking i should because although it was only a year ago that i sold my company i'm sure things in the market have changed. I think i'll put the ad on hold for now.

8. CreativeLawncareSolutions

I'd probably hold off too. Use that $3500 for a killer website with great search engine optimization. Get some really nice postcards sent out to specific neighborhoods. Buy a new Stihl BR600 backpack blower. Get a great new trailer. Stuff like that is what I'd do with that money.

I guess the tv add could've bombed too. That would have stung.

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I live in a huge metropolitan area (Tampa Bay). BrightHouse networks does all the local tv commercials. Honestly I have never seen one for a lawn and landscape company. The closest I've seen is the TG "weedslayer" spot. A few construction and sinkhole companies, but nothing in our field. I'm not sure about the size of your viewing area. I gotta agree with other posters on using the funds for other forms of advertising. A website that points the search engine to "Bath lawn and landscaping" key words would probably give you a much better ROI. The web has replaced the yellow pages which used to be the number 1 form of advertising.:usflag:

10. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member